500,000 cholera cases expected in Haiti by end 2011: WHO

The World Health Organisation on Friday said the number of cholera cases in Haiti was expected to reach 500,000 by the end of the year.

"If current trends continue, we can expect around 75,000 more cases by the end of the year bringing the total to approximately 500,000 cases since the beginning of the epidemic," WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic said.

In October, the WHO had already recorded 470,000 cases.

The broke out in 2010 when the disease has killed 6,600 people.

The number of new cholera cases in Haiti halved in August, but the is once again worsening the situation, the WHO warned.

"We are going towards an endemic situation," noted Claire-Lise Chaignat, who heads the WHO's anti-cholera group.

"We should consider introduction to Haiti for the most vulnerable. This discussion is ongoing," added Chaignat.

"But you can imagine that it is not easy to identify where to start, with the limited amount of vaccines available, because the vaccines are still produced in a very limited amount and quantity," she said, adding that she hoped this would change with the production of new vaccines in India.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Expect 200,000 Haiti cholera cases: expert

Nov 23, 2010

A top health expert warned on Tuesday that Haiti could face as many as 200,000 cases of cholera in the coming three months and needs urgent supplies to treat an explosion of cases of the deadly disease.

Haiti to test cholera vaccine

Oct 19, 2011

Haiti's health ministry is preparing to test a cholera vaccine on a hundred people, a year after an epidemic killed over 6,500 people, officials said Wednesday.

UN appeals for $164M to combat Haiti cholera

Nov 12, 2010

(AP) -- The United Nations asked for $164 million Friday to fight the cholera outbreak in Haiti that has already claimed 724 lives and is expected to continue spreading for up to a year.

Haiti cholera toll hits 1,344: officials

Nov 22, 2010

Haitian health officials said Monday that at least 1,344 people have died from a worsening cholera epidemic that has ravaged the country since mid-October.

Recommended for you

Two US states order tough Ebola quarantine rules

10 hours ago

New York and New Jersey on Friday ordered a mandatory quarantine for medics who treated victims of Ebola in West Africa, after the deadly virus spread to America's largest city.

NY and NJ say they will require Ebola quarantines

Oct 24, 2014

The governors of New Jersey and New York on Friday ordered a mandatory, 21-day quarantine for all doctors and other arriving travelers who have had contact with Ebola victims in West Africa.

User comments