21 deaths now linked to listeria in cantaloupe

By MARY CLARE JALONICK , Associated Press

(AP) -- Federal health authorities say a nationwide outbreak of listeria in cantaloupe is now responsible for 21 deaths and the number may continue to grow.

The on Friday reported new deaths in Indiana and New York. The CDC also confirmed a death in Wyoming that state officials reported last week. CDC said 109 people have been sickened in the outbreak.

The death toll in the outbreak is now tied with a 1998 outbreak of in hot dogs and possibly deli meats. The deadliest outbreak before that is believed to have been listeria in Mexican cheese in 1985.

Jensen Farms in Holly, Colo., recalled the tainted cantaloupes Sept. 14. They were shipped all over the country but should be off store shelves by now.

1 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Cantaloupe outbreak is deadliest in a decade

Sep 28, 2011

(AP) -- Health officials say as many as 16 people have died from possible listeria illnesses traced to Colorado cantaloupes, the deadliest food outbreak in more than a decade.

Infected cantaloupes have killed 18 in US

Oct 04, 2011

Eighteen people have died and 100 people have fallen ill since late July in the United States from eating cantaloupes infected with listeria, health authorities said Tuesday.

FDA, CDC investigate listeriosis outbreak's source

Sep 15, 2011

(AP) -- The Food and Drug Administration is working with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to determine the source of contaminated cantaloupe blamed for a multistate listeriosis outbreak.

Recommended for you

Liberia closes borders and steps up Ebola screening

11 minutes ago

Liberian President Ellen Johnson Sirleaf has announced the closure of most of the Ebola-hit country's land borders, with stringent medical checks being stepped up at airports and major trade routes.

Global impact of the Ebola outbreak

2 hours ago

The Ebola virus has been spreading in West Africa since March, but the current outbreak over the past few weeks has reached new heights and elevated the crisis. More than 650 people have died, and in recent days it was learned ...

S.Korea detects second foot-and-mouth case

4 hours ago

South Korea on Monday reported its second case of foot-and-mouth disease in less than a week, triggering fearful memories of a devastating 2011 outbreak that forced the culling of millions of livestock.

User comments

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

Jesse_EngAmer
not rated yet Oct 08, 2011
This particular outbreak is swiftly climbing the ranks towards being the deadliest in our country's history.
It's unfortunate that the FDA has chosen to squander it's new regulatory power attacking dietary supplements instead foods like our produce. The FDA only inspected 2% of our imported foods last year, and next year that number will be down to about 1.47%. http://eng.am/pk6Xgx

American's shouldn't pay taxes towards an organization that exists to serve big pharma while the public gets sick.