21 deaths now linked to listeria in cantaloupe
(AP) -- Federal health authorities say a nationwide outbreak of listeria in cantaloupe is now responsible for 21 deaths and the number may continue to grow.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention on Friday reported new deaths in Indiana and New York. The CDC also confirmed a death in Wyoming that state officials reported last week. CDC said 109 people have been sickened in the outbreak.
The death toll in the cantaloupe outbreak is now tied with a 1998 outbreak of listeria in hot dogs and possibly deli meats. The deadliest outbreak before that is believed to have been listeria in Mexican cheese in 1985.
Jensen Farms in Holly, Colo., recalled the tainted cantaloupes Sept. 14. They were shipped all over the country but should be off store shelves by now.
©2011 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
- CDC reports 4 dead in cantaloupe listeria outbreak Sep 20, 2011 | not rated yet | 0
- Cantaloupe illnesses and deaths expected to rise Sep 29, 2011 | not rated yet | 0
- Cantaloupe outbreak is deadliest in a decade Sep 28, 2011 | not rated yet | 0
- Infected cantaloupes have killed 18 in US Oct 04, 2011 | not rated yet | 0
- FDA, CDC investigate listeriosis outbreak's source Sep 15, 2011 | not rated yet | 0
- Motion perception revisited: High Phi effect challenges established motion perception assumptions Apr 23, 2013 | 3 / 5 (2) | 2
- Anything you can do I can do better: Neuromolecular foundations of the superiority illusion (Update) Apr 02, 2013 | 4.5 / 5 (11) | 5
- The visual system as economist: Neural resource allocation in visual adaptation Mar 30, 2013 | 5 / 5 (2) | 9
- Separate lives: Neuronal and organismal lifespans decoupled Mar 27, 2013 | 4.9 / 5 (8) | 0
- Sizing things up: The evolutionary neurobiology of scale invariance Feb 28, 2013 | 4.8 / 5 (10) | 14
Classical and Quantum Mechanics via Lie algebras
Apr 15, 2011 I'd like to open a discussion thread for version 2 of the draft of my book ''Classical and Quantum Mechanics via Lie algebras'', available online at http://lanl.arxiv.org/abs/0810.1019 , and for the...
- More from Physics Forums - Independent Research
More news stories
More than 40 percent of patients being treated for COPD at a federally funded clinic did not have the disease, researchers found after evaluating the patients with spirometry, the diagnostic "gold standard" for chronic obstructive ...
Diseases, Conditions, Syndromes 53 minutes ago | not rated yet | 0
(AP)—Alabama health officials say a mysterious respiratory illness has left five people hospitalized and two dead in the southeastern part of the state.
Diseases, Conditions, Syndromes 3 hours ago | not rated yet | 0
A paper recently published in the New England Journal of Medicine and co-written by physicians and scientists at the University of Colorado School of Medicine finds that an important genetic risk factor for pulmonary fibros ...
Diseases, Conditions, Syndromes 16 hours ago | not rated yet | 0
Using the Department of Defense Serum Repository (DoDSR), University of Cincinnati (UC) researchers have identified a number of biomarkers for inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), which could help with earlier diagnosis and ...
Diseases, Conditions, Syndromes 16 hours ago | 5 / 5 (1) | 0
(HealthDay)—Three-quarters of public schools in the metro Atlanta area contain microbes, including bacteria indicating the presence of fecal matter, according to research published in the May 17 issue of ...
Diseases, Conditions, Syndromes 17 hours ago | not rated yet | 0
Research presented today shows that high-fructose corn syrup can cause behavioural reactions in rats similar to those produced by drugs of abuse such as cocaine. These results, presented by addiction expert Francesco Leri, ...
23 minutes ago | not rated yet | 0
The DESolve bioresorbable coronary scaffold system achieves good efficacy and safety with low rates of late lumen loss and major coronary adverse events at six months, show first results from the pivotal DESolve Nx trial ...
54 minutes ago | not rated yet | 0
Results from a large observational study reported at EuroPCR 2013 today question whether bivalirudin is superior to heparin in the absence of GPIIb/IIIa blockade, showing similar 30-day mortality in patients with non-ST segment ...
52 minutes ago | not rated yet | 0
Blood thinners are the preferred treatment option to prevent heart attacks, blood clots and stroke, but they are not without risk, and not just because of their side effects. These high-risk drugs, known as anticoagulants, ...
50 minutes ago | not rated yet | 0
Study leader, Professor John Mathews from the University of Melbourne said this small increase in cancer risk must be weighed against the undoubted benefits from CT scans in diagnosing and monitoring disease.
49 minutes ago | not rated yet | 0