Small batteries, other shiny objects pose risks to children

Small batteries, other shiny objects pose risks to children
Curious kids may accidentally swallow magnets and batteries, leading to serious injury.

(HealthDay) -- Coins, magnets and small batteries pose serious dangers to children when accidentally swallowed, the American College of Emergency Physicians warns.

Not only are these objects potential choking hazards, some can cause severe internal damage.

"Items like these are small and shiny and attractive to young children," college president Dr. David Seaberg said in an organization news release. "They are easily accessible to kids. Small batteries, for example, are often found in a child's toy and from that child's perspective, they can look like pieces of candy."

If swallowed, small batteries used in many toys and remote controls can get stuck in a child's esophagus or . If not removed quickly, the batteries can erode tissue.

A life-threatening situation can occur if a child swallows small but powerful neodymium (a type of metal) magnets. The magnets can attract each other inside the child's body and trap tissue between them. The resulting pressure can cause internal damage serious enough to require surgery.

The physicians group also noted that doctors are seeing cases of teens accidentally swallowing the small magnets when they use them to mimic jewelry piercings in the mouth and nose.

"Emergency physicians are experts at treating any ," Seaberg said. "But we need parents to be aware of the dangers and work to combat this at home."

Parents need to know what their young children are playing with at all times and keep choking hazards away from them, experts advise. If parents suspect a child may have swallowed something potentially hazardous, call 911 or go to the nearest .

More information: The American Academy of Pediatrics has more about the dangers of magnetic toys.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Holiday gift guide: Choosing safe toys for children

Dec 15, 2011

(Medical Xpress) -- More than 180,000 children were treated in U.S. emergency rooms for toy-related injuries last year. Here, two UNC Health Care experts offer toy-safety tips for the kids in your life.

Recommended for you

Uruguay opens bidding for marijuana plots

1 hour ago

Uruguay, the first country to fully legalize the production, sale and distribution of marijuana, called for bids Friday from private growers who want to farm cannabis in a public field.

Patient-centered medical homes reduce costs

18 hours ago

The patient-centered medical home (PCMH), introduced in 2007, is a model of health care that emphasizes personal relationships, team delivery of care, coordination across specialties and care settings, quality ...

New mums still excessively sleepy after four months

20 hours ago

(Medical Xpress)—New mums are being urged to be cautious about returning to work too quickly, after a QUT study found one in two were still excessively sleepy four months after giving birth.

It's time to address the health of men around the world

20 hours ago

All over the world, men die younger than women and do worse on a host of health indicators, yet policy makers rarely focus on this "men's health gap" or adopt programs aimed at addressing it, according to an international ...

User comments

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

wiyosaya
not rated yet Jun 01, 2012
I have to wonder why this counts as news? Maybe I am missing something, however, it really does not sound like there is anything new in this story.