Hungarian teen dies of bacterial meningitis

A Hungarian teenager has died of bacterial meningitis and 69 people who came in contact with her were prescribed antibiotics, public health officials said.

The 17-year-old died Tuesday in a Budapest hospital the day after first experiencing symptoms following a weekend music festival last week, the public health service said Thursday.

"The clinical analysis carried out on July 18 revealed the presence of type C meningococcal bacteria," said the statement posted on the service's website.

The teenager had attended the Balaton Sound music festival in the western town of Zamardi along Lake Balaton.

"To our knowledge, no other festival attendee has fallen ill," the statement said.

Meningitis, which can be very contagious and can lead to death if untreated, is an inflammation of the protective membranes covering the .

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Recommended for you

Oral contraceptive equal to antibiotics for acne care

1 hour ago

(HealthDay)—At six months, oral contraceptive pills (OCPs) are comparable to systemic antibiotics for acne management, according to a review published in the September issue of the Journal of the American Ac ...

Photodynamic therapy vs. cryotherapy for actinic keratoses

2 hours ago

Photodynamic therapy (PDT, which uses topical agents and light to kill tissue) appears to better clear actinic keratoses (AKs, a common skin lesion caused by sun damage) at three months after treatment than cryotherapy (which ...

US official warns Ebola outbreak will get worse

4 hours ago

A third top doctor has died from Ebola in Sierra Leone, a government official said Wednesday, as a leading American health official warned that the outbreak sweeping West Africa would get worse before it ...

UN releases $1.5mn to help DR Congo fight Ebola

5 hours ago

The United Nations on Wednesday allocated $1.5 million (1.1 million euros) to help the Democratic Republic of Congo fight Ebola, just days after the country confirmed its first cases this year.

User comments