More disease warnings sent to past Yosemite guests

(AP)—Public health workers are warning more recent visitors to Yosemite National Park that they may have been exposed to a deadly rodent-borne disease. Two guests have died of hantavirus pulmonary syndrome and at least one was sickened.

Officials sent emails and letters on Wednesday to 1,000 people who stayed in tent cabins in Curry Village. That's in addition to 1,700 Curry Village guests who had previously been sent such a warning.

It's unclear whether authorities extended the dates of potential exposure beyond June, July and August.

The disease can be transmitted through the feces, urine and saliva of deer mice and other rodents.

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

2nd Yosemite visitor dies of rodent-borne illness

Aug 28, 2012

(AP)—About 1,700 people who stayed in tent cabins at Yosemite National Park this summer were warned Tuesday they may have been exposed to a deadly rodent-borne virus blamed for the deaths of two campers.

Yosemite officials say 1,700 visitors risk disease

Aug 28, 2012

(AP)—Yosemite officials told 1,700 past visitors on Tuesday they may have been exposed to a rodent-borne disease already blamed for the deaths of two people who stayed in cabins at the national park.

Yosemite officials say 1,700 visitors risk disease

Aug 29, 2012

(AP)—The rustic tent cabins of Yosemite National Park—a favorite among families looking to rough it in one of America's most majestic settings—have become the scene of a public health crisis after two visitors died ...

Hantavirus: Be careful, not fearful

Aug 30, 2012

(Medical Xpress)—Hantavirus, a potentially fatal virus transmitted by rodents such as deer mice, is making news following an unusual outbreak at a popular tourist area of Yosemite National Park. The recent ...

Nevada officials: Luxor guests had Legionnaires'

Jan 30, 2012

(AP) -- Health officials in Las Vegas said Monday that the bacteria that causes Legionnaires' disease was found in water samples at the Luxor hotel-casino this month after a guest died of the form of pneumonia.

Recommended for you

Arriving now at gate 42: measles

10 hours ago

(HealthDay)—Traveling through the same U.S. airport gate, one infected passenger transmitted the measles virus to three others within a four-hour time span, illustrating just how easily the virus can spread, ...

Scratch from pet rat kills child; CDC warns of risk

11 hours ago

(HealthDay)—The tragic death from "rat-bite fever" of a 10-year-old San Diego boy highlights the risk carried by the pet rodents, according to a report from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.