Sierra Leone cholera epidemic claims 255 lives, says UN

The cholera epidemic in Sierra Leone, the worst oubreak of the waterborne disease there in 15 years, has now claimed 255 lives, the World Health Organization (WHO) said Tuesday.

The epidemic was declared a national emergency in mid-August, with the densely populated capital Freetown the worst affected area in the west African country.

WHO spokesman Tarik Jasarevic said that as of September 5, a total of 16,360 cases have been reported, including 255 deaths.

"The western area of the country, where the capital city of Freetown is located, reported more than 60 percent of all new cases," he added.

Despite expectations that the number of cases will rise to around 32,000 during September as the rainy season peaks, the WHO has not recommended any travel or trade restrictions be applied to Sierra Leone.

The UN agency has set up a major cholera command centre in Freetown and is also working with other non-government organisations including UNICEF, Oxfam and Save the Children to scale up their aid efforst.

With emphasis placed on early detection of the disease, public meetings are being held in Freetown to raise awareness of the importance of avoiding drinking water from unprotected sources, and text messages are also being sent by telephone companies to inform the public.

The disease, which is linked to and living conditions, causes vomiting, diarrhoea and .

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Sierra Leone cholera death toll rises to 244

Sep 03, 2012

A cholera epidemic in Sierra Leone which was declared a national emergency in mid-August has claimed 244 lives and affected 14,521 people, said a statement from a special cholera task force Monday.

Cholera emergency declared in Sierra Leone

Aug 20, 2012

(AP) — An outbreak of cholera in West Africa has infected more than 13,000 people and killed at least 258 people in Sierra Leone and Guinea, authorities said as they appealed for international assistance.

Recommended for you

Filipino tests negative for Middle East virus

5 hours ago

A Filipino nurse who tested positive for the Middle East virus has been found free of infection in a subsequent examination after he returned home, Philippine health officials said Saturday.

US orders farms to report pig virus infections

Apr 18, 2014

The U.S. government is starting a new program to help monitor and possibly control the spread of a virus that has killed millions of pigs since showing up in the country last year.

Foreigner dies of MERS in Saudi

Apr 18, 2014

A foreigner has died after she contracted MERS in the Saudi capital, the health ministry said on announced Friday, bringing the nationwide death toll to 73.

Vietnam battles fatal measles outbreak

Apr 18, 2014

Vietnam is scrambling to contain a deadly outbreak of measles that has killed more than 100 people, mostly young children, and infected thousands more this year, the government said Friday.

New clues on tissue scarring in scleroderma

Apr 18, 2014

A discovery by Northwestern Medicine scientists could lead to potential new treatments for breaking the cycle of tissue scarring in people with scleroderma.

User comments