DR Congo Ebola toll rises to 36

An outbreak of Ebola fever in the Democratic Republic of Congo may have killed up to 36 people, out of 81 suspected cases, according to a new death toll released by the health ministry on Monday.

The ministry said that 20 confirmed cases have been recorded, as well as 32 likely and 29 suspected as of September 29.

They said that among the 36 deaths, 10 were confirmed to have been a direct result of the killer virus.

They also said that the number of people under observation had risen to 216 since the outbreak was first reported in mid-August in the eastern Orientale province.

The vast majority of cases were reported in and around the town of Isiro.

DR Congo has recorded eight outbreaks of , one of the world's most virulent diseases, since the virus was first reported near a river that gave it its name in 1976.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Ebola caseload soars in eastern DR Congo

Sep 04, 2012

The number of people with Ebola, a rare haemorrhagic disease, in northeastern Democratic Republic of Congo has tripled since mid-August, the World Health Organisation said Tuesday, after 14 patients died in two weeks.

Uganda Ebola outbreak 'coming to an end': WHO

Sep 03, 2012

Uganda's latest outbreak of the deadly Ebola virus appears to be over, the World Health Organisation said Monday, pointing out that no new cases had been confirmed for the past month.

Recommended for you

Ebola aid dogged by coordination lags in Guinea

20 hours ago

Eight months into West Africa's Ebola outbreak, aid efforts in Guinea still suffer from poor coordination, hampering deployments of international support to help quell a virus that has killed more than 1,200 ...

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.