3rd person in Calif. dies from mushroom poisoning

(AP)—A third person has died from eating toxic mushrooms at a California senior care facility.

State Department of Social Services spokesman Oscar Ramirez told The Associated Press Wednesday that the person died on Saturday. The victim's name was not released.

Ramirez says the senior home, Gold Age Villa in Loomis, called Monday to report the third death.

Two other people died and three others were sickened when they ate soup made from the toxic mushrooms on Nov. 8. The caretaker who prepared the soup apparently picked the mushrooms from the home's backyard and did not know they were poisonous.

State food regulations do not prohibit the use of foraged ingredients in food prepared at care facilities, though they do prevent the use of home-canned foods and unpasteurized milk.

5 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

2 Calif. deaths from mushrooms despite warnings

Nov 11, 2012

(AP)—The deaths of two residents of a Northern California assisted living facility and the hospitalization of four others come despite warnings from health officials not to eat mushrooms picked in the wild.

Toxic alcohol kills 17 in southern India

Jan 02, 2012

At least 17 people have died from drinking toxic home-brewed alcohol in southern India, an official said on Monday, just weeks after a similar incident claimed 170 lives.

Eating soup will help cut calories at meals

May 01, 2007

Eating low-calorie soup before a meal can help cut back on how much food and calories you eat at the meal, a new Penn State study shows. Results show that when participants in the study ate a first course of soup before a ...

Recommended for you

AMA 'Code of Ethics' offers guidance for physicians

55 minutes ago

(HealthDay)—The American Medical Association (AMA) Code of Ethics and other articles provide guidance for physicians in relation to public health emergencies, according to a report from the AMA.

Pot-infused edibles: One toke over the line in Colorado?

5 hours ago

Marijuana shops have sprouted across Denver ever since Colorado legalized the drug for adults in January, but the popularity of pot-infused edibles has surprised authorities, and parents are seeking a ban ahead of Halloween.

US sues Gerber over claims on infant formula

6 hours ago

U.S. government regulators announced Thursday they were suing Gerber, the well-known baby food maker, for claiming that its Good Start Gentle formula can prevent or reduce allergies in children.

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.