2 Calif. deaths from mushrooms despite warnings

November 11, 2012

(AP)—The deaths of two residents of a Northern California assisted living facility and the hospitalization of four others come despite warnings from health officials not to eat mushrooms picked in the wild.

As far back as October 2009, the California Department of Public Health issued a statement warning that eating wild mushrooms can cause serious illness or .

According to state data, there were more than 1,700 reported cases of mushroom ingestion in California in 2009 and 2010. They included 10 cases of serious poisoning and two deaths, including an 82-year-old Santa Barbara man who died after cooking wild mushrooms with his steak.

Most recently, two residents of the Gold Age Villa in Loomis died after eating soup with wild mushrooms that had been prepared by a caregiver.

Explore further: Mushroom poisoning adds to rainy French summer woes

shares

Related Stories

Mushroom poisoning adds to rainy French summer woes

August 7, 2011

Tourists and locals in southwest France are flocking to hospital wards after eating mushrooms that this year sprouted much earlier than usual due to the rainy summer, officials said Sunday.

Recommended for you

Older people getting smarter, but not fitter

August 31, 2015

Older populations are scoring better on cognitive tests than people of the same age did in the past —a trend that could be linked to higher education rates and increased use of technology in our daily lives, say IIASA population ...

Higher intelligence score means better physical performance

August 14, 2015

New research reveals a distinct association between male intelligence in early adulthood and their subsequent midlife physical performance. The higher intelligence score, the better physical performance, the study reveals. ...

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.