Native Hawaiians have bleeding strokes at earlier age, independent of meth use
Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders have more bleeding strokes at an earlier age than other people independent of methamphetamine abuse, according to research presented at the American Stroke Association's International Stroke Conference 2013.
"Drug abuse is a huge problem here and it definitely is a cause of hemorrhagic stroke," said Kazuma Nakagawa, M.D., lead investigator and assistant professor of medicine at the University of Hawaii. "But Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders are experiencing this form of stroke at a younger age even without methamphetamine use. It's not all about methamphetamines, but possibly due to poor vascular health."
In a retrospective study of ICH patients treated at an Oahu hospital, Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders (NHPI) had five times the risk of ICH stroke before age 45 when compared to non-Hispanic white controls. Of the 384 ICH patients studied in 2006-10, 19 percent were Native Hawaiian/Pacific Islanders, 65 percent were Asians and 16 percent non-Hispanic whites.
- NHPIs were an average 54 years when they had a hemorrhagic stroke compared to 68 years for non-Hispanic whites.
- NHPIs had twice the amount of diabetes (36 percent versus 19 percent) and more than twice the number with untreated high blood pressure (32 percent versus 15 percent) when compared to non-Hispanic whites.
- Intracerebral hemorrhage before age 45 occurred in 26 percent of NHPIs, 9 percent in Asians and only 6 percent in whites.
- Ten percent of NHPI patients tested positive on toxicology screens for methamphetamine use compared to 3 percent of whites and 6 percent of Asians.
- Seventeen percent of ICH before age 45 resulted from methamphetamine abuse.
Besides genetics, environmental factors – such as diet, stress, unhealthy lifestyles and a lack of good health care – could also affect the higher incidences, he said. "These groups need a different intensity of treatment in the community. There needs to be a focus on controlling hypertension, diabetes and weight management."
The retrospective study was based on chart reviews in one institution.
So researchers are conducting a prospective study to determine the causes of the strokes in young Native Hawaiians and Pacific Islanders.
Cerebral hemorrhage accounts for about 10 percent of 795,000 annual strokes in the United States. This form of stroke is often more severe and disabling than ischemic stroke, which is due to blockage in an artery.
Provided by American Heart Association
- Study: Native Hawaiians at higher risk of hemorrhagic stroke at younger age Feb 15, 2011 | not rated yet | 0
- Native Hawaiians: Vulnerability to early death at all ages Sep 16, 2010 | not rated yet | 0
- Black stroke survivors face greater risk from high blood pressure Aug 16, 2012 | not rated yet | 0
- Study finds no link between intracerebral hemorrhage and statin use among patients with prior stroke Sep 12, 2011 | not rated yet | 0
- Pacific Islanders have high obesity, smoking rates Sep 24, 2012 | not rated yet | 0
- Separate lives: Neuronal and organismal lifespans decoupled Mar 27, 2013 | 4.9 / 5 (8) | 0
- Sizing things up: The evolutionary neurobiology of scale invariance Feb 28, 2013 | 4.8 / 5 (10) | 14
Confusion regarding direction of kinetic friction on inclined plane.
2 hours ago *please help! * The formula for kinetic friction acting on a sliding body is μkN When the body is sliding down an inclined plane fk=μkN
8 hours ago Alright, so in Pathfinder (like Dungeons and Dragons) there's a spell that allows you to lift/move stuff within 25 ft with 5 pounds of force. A...
10 hours ago So energy can only be converted... So when you squeeze the bulb on a blood pressure cuff, you are applying kinetic energy. Then the cuff fills with...
How does momentum, inertia and drag affect the motion of an object?
12 hours ago How does momentum and inertia affect changes in speed, when considering acceleration from thrust, or from decelleration from drag? Say, for a...
What is Time-Varying Voltage?
14 hours ago In circuits, we have no problem saying that the voltage difference between two point is [itex]\cos(\omega t)[/itex], but what does that actually...
Contextual Relationships Between Momentum, Energy, and Force.
15 hours ago *I apologize in advance for the length of this post, if you wish to reduce reading skip to paragraph 5. Or if you are super lazy, the final...
- More from Physics Forums - Classical Physics
More news stories
(HealthDay)—Blood levels of free fatty acids are associated with insulin resistance during young adulthood and cardiovascular risk factors in later adulthood, according to a study published online May 13 ...
Cardiology 23 hours ago | not rated yet | 0 |
An experimental, inexpensive iPhone application transmitted diagnostic heart images faster and more reliably than emailing photo images, according to a research study presented at the American Heart Association's Quality ...
Cardiology May 17, 2013 | not rated yet | 0
Extracorporeal membrane oxygenation (ECMO), a procedure traditionally used during cardiac surgeries and in the ICU that functions as an artificial replacement for a patient's heart and lungs, has also been used to resuscitate ...
Cardiology May 17, 2013 | not rated yet | 0
Age has little to do with how patients should be treated after suffering a stroke, according to new research from the University of Georgia.
Cardiology May 17, 2013 | not rated yet | 0 |
Depressed middle-aged women have almost double the risk of having a stroke, according to research published in Stroke: Journal of the American Heart Association.
Cardiology May 16, 2013 | not rated yet | 0
46 minutes ago | not rated yet | 0 |
44 minutes ago | not rated yet | 0
9 hours ago | 5 / 5 (1) | 0
10 hours ago | not rated yet | 0 |
21 hours ago | 3.7 / 5 (3) | 0 |
20 hours ago | not rated yet | 0 |