Saudi death from SARS-like virus, WHO reports

A SARS-like virus that has struck in Britain and the Middle East has claimed a new victim in Saudi Arabia, bringing the global toll from the mystery illness to nine, the World Health Organisation said Tuesday.

The United Nations agency said the Saudi health ministry informed it that a 39-year-old man, who developed symptoms on February 24 and was hospitalised four days later, died on March 2.

"Preliminary investigation indicated that the patient had no contact with previously reported cases," the WHO said in a statement. "Other potential exposures are under investigation."

Novel coronavirus—known in health jargon as nCoV—was first detected in the middle of last year.

Including the latest victim, a total of 15 cases have now been reported.

The nine fatalities have been clustered in , Jordan and Britain. In the latter country, it affected a family, one of the members of which had visited the Middle East and Pakistan.

On Tuesday the WHO reiterated calls on its member states to remain vigilant for cases of severe and to carefully review any unusual patterns.

"The WHO is currently working with international experts and countries where cases have been reported to assess the situation and review recommendations for surveillance and monitoring," it said.

Member states should promptly assess and notify WHO of any new case of infection with nCoV, along with information about potential exposures that may have resulted in infection, it added.

"The WHO does not advise special screening at points of entry with regard to this event nor does it recommend that any travel or trade restrictions be applied," it said.

Coronaviruses cause most common colds and pneumonia, but are also to blame for unusual conditions such as , better known by its acronym .

A SARS epidemic killed more than 800 people when it swept out of China in 2003, sparking a major international health scare.

The however is different from SARS, especially in that it causes rapid kidney failure.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

New death from SARS-like virus in Saudi, WHO reports

Feb 21, 2013

Another person suffering from a SARS-like virus has died in Saudi Arabia, the World Health Organization said Thursday, bringing the worldwide number of fatalities from the mystery illness to seven.

WHO urges vigilance over SARS-like virus

Feb 17, 2013

The World Health Organisation on Saturday urged countries to be vigilant over the spread of a potentially fatal SARS-like virus after a new case in Britain brought the global number to 12.

Fourth case of SARS-like virus hits Britain

Feb 15, 2013

A third member of a family has been diagnosed in Britain with a potentially fatal SARS-like virus, officials said Friday, bringing the number of confirmed cases worldwide to 12.

Jordan says SARS-like virus deaths isolated cases

Dec 02, 2012

Jordan's health minister has said that two deaths in the kingdom from a SARS-like virus earlier this year which were confirmed by the World Health Organisation last week were isolated cases.

Saudi Arabia confirms 2nd case of SARS-like virus

Nov 05, 2012

(AP)—Saudi Arabia's Health Ministry has confirmed that a second person in the kingdom has contracted a new respiratory virus related to SARS, bringing to three the number of those sickened by it in the Gulf region in recent ...

Recommended for you

Two US states order tough Ebola quarantine rules

13 hours ago

New York and New Jersey on Friday ordered a mandatory quarantine for medics who treated victims of Ebola in West Africa, after the deadly virus spread to America's largest city.

NY and NJ say they will require Ebola quarantines

Oct 24, 2014

The governors of New Jersey and New York on Friday ordered a mandatory, 21-day quarantine for all doctors and other arriving travelers who have had contact with Ebola victims in West Africa.

User comments