US government files morning-after pill appeal (Update)

(AP)—The government has filed a last-second appeal that will delay the sale of the morning-after contraceptive pill to girls of any age without a prescription.

The appeal was filed shortly before a noon Monday deadline.

Brooklyn federal Judge Edward Korman says politics is behind efforts by Secretary of Health and Human Services Kathleen Sebelius (seh-BEEL'-yuhs) to block the unrestricted sale of the Plan B pill.

Justice Department lawyers had asked for a stay of the month-old decision while they appeal.

Korman denied the request but postponed the enforcement of his order to allow them to take the matter to a federal appeals court.

Earlier this month, the FDA announced the contraception could be sold without a prescription to those 15 and older. But Korman's ruling removed age limits.

Related Stories

Judge in NYC rips opposition to Plan B order

date May 07, 2013

A federal judge, asked by the U.S. government on Tuesday to freeze his plan giving teenage girls broader access to morning-after birth control, instead seized the chance to accuse health officials of taking steps that would ...

US Justice Department appeals morning-after case

date May 02, 2013

(AP)—The Obama administration appealed a federal judge's order to lift all age limits on who can buy morning-after birth control pills without a prescription. In appealing the ruling on Wednesday, the administration ...

US: Morning-after pill OK for ages 15 and up (Update)

date Apr 30, 2013

The U.S. government on Tuesday lowered to 15 the age at which girls can buy the morning-after pill without a prescription and said the emergency contraception no longer has to be kept behind pharmacy counters.

Recommended for you

Light therapy hope for sleep troubled teens

date 2 hours ago

Flinders University sleep researchers are taking research conducted in Adelaide schools to the next level by intensively studying individual sleep troubled teens in a new study at the Child & Adolescent Sleep ...

Europe's police crack massive horsemeat trafficking ring

date Apr 25, 2015

Police from seven European countries detained 26 people in a crackdown on a horsemeat trafficking ring two years after a tainted meat scandal that rocked the continent, the EU's judicial agency Eurojust said Saturday.

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.