No travel measures despite Saudi SARS-like virus toll

The World Health Organisation on Tuesday said there was no need for travel restrictions in Saudi Arabia as the death toll from a SARS-like virus there rose to 11, but urged international vigilance.

"WHO does not advise special screening at ports of entry with regard to this event, nor does it recommend that any travel or trade restrictions be applied," Glenn Thomas, a spokesman for the UN health agency, told reporters in Geneva.

"Based on the current situation and available information, WHO encourages all member states to continue their surveillance for severe, and to carefully review any unusual patterns," he added.

Since the start of May, Saudi Arabia has reported to WHO seven deaths among 13 new cases of novel coronavirus, taking the number of fatalities there to 11 since last year.

Two people with the disease—known in medical jargon as nCoV-EMC—died on Friday and one was in critical condition.

"Of the 13 patients, 10 are men and three are women. The age range of the patients is from 24 to 94 years old," said Thomas.

"The Saudi Arabian government is conducting ongoing investigations into this outbreak, which is linked to one in Al-Ahsaa," he added, referring to the oil-rich Gulf region near Bahrain and Qatar.

Since the virus was recorded in September 2012, the total number of cases reported worldwide has hit 30, including 18 deaths, Thomas said.

While it has been deadliest in Saudi Arabia, other cases have been reported in Jordan, Germany and Britain.

It is a cousin of (SARS), which triggered a scare 10 years ago when it erupted in east Asia, leaping to humans from animal hosts and eventually killing some 800 people.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

SARS-like virus kills two more in Saudi

May 06, 2013

A new SARS-like virus has killed two more people in Saudi Arabia, taking the number of deaths from the coronavirus that the kingdom has announced to seven in one week, the health ministry said.

Saudi death from SARS-like virus, WHO reports

Mar 12, 2013

A SARS-like virus that has struck in Britain and the Middle East has claimed a new victim in Saudi Arabia, bringing the global toll from the mystery illness to nine, the World Health Organisation said Tuesday.

New death from SARS-like virus in Saudi, WHO reports

Feb 21, 2013

Another person suffering from a SARS-like virus has died in Saudi Arabia, the World Health Organization said Thursday, bringing the worldwide number of fatalities from the mystery illness to seven.

Recommended for you

NY and NJ say they will require Ebola quarantines

10 hours ago

The governors of New Jersey and New York on Friday ordered a mandatory, 21-day quarantine for all doctors and other arriving travelers who have had contact with Ebola victims in West Africa.

WHO: Mali case may have infected many people

14 hours ago

The World Health Organization says a toddler who brought Ebola to Mali was bleeding from her nose during her journey on public transport and may have infected many people.

Two US nurses are declared cured of Ebola

15 hours ago

Two American nurses were declared cured of Ebola on Friday, and one was healthy enough to leave the hospital and meet President Barack Obama for a hug.

User comments