Britain records new death from MERS virus

A Qatari man has died in a British hospital from the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) virus which has been causing increasing alarm among world health experts, officials said Thursday.

The death brings to 43 the number of people to date who have died from the SARS-like infection, which has an extremely high mortality rate.

The unnamed 49-year-old man had been in a London hospital since September 2012 receiving treatment for acute symptoms from the virus, having earlier been airlifted from the Qatari capital Doha.

The man had previously travelled to Saudi Arabia where the majority of cases have been concentrated.

He died last week after his condition sharply deteriorated, a spokeswoman for Guy's and St Thomas' hospital said.

"Guy's and St Thomas' can confirm that the patient with severe respiratory illness due to novel coronavirus (MERS-nCV) sadly died on Friday 28 June, after his condition deteriorated despite every effort and full supportive treatment," the spokeswoman said.

MERS is a member of the coronavirus family, which includes the pathogen that causes Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS).

The World Health Organization (WHO) said on June 26 that 77 laboratory-confirmed cases had surfaced worldwide with 40 deaths. Saudi Arabia announced two further deaths on Wednesday.

SARS sparked global panic in 2003 after it jumped to humans from animals in Asia and killed some 800 people.

Like SARS, MERS appears to cause a , with patients suffering from fever, coughing and breathing difficulties. But it differs in that it also causes rapid .

While most of the cases have been concentrated in Saudi Arabia, the MERS virus has also spread to neighbouring Jordan, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

Cases have also been found in France, Germany, Italy, Tunisia and Britain, although most of these patients had been transferred for care from the Middle East or had travelled to the Middle East and became ill after they returned, the WHO said.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Saudi declares new death from MERS virus

Jun 24, 2013

A Saudi man has died from the MERS virus, bringing the kingdom's death toll from the SARS-like infection to 34, the ministry of health said on Monday.

Saudi records two new deaths from MERS

Jul 03, 2013

A Saudi man and a woman have died from the MERS virus, raising the death toll from the SARS-like infection in the kingdom to 36, the health ministry said on Wednesday.

WHO says MERS virus death toll hits 33

Jun 14, 2013

The global death toll from the SARS-like virus MERS has risen to 33, after two new fatalities in Saudi Arabia, the World Health Organization (WHO) said on Friday.

Recommended for you

Presence of peers ups health workers' hand hygiene

4 hours ago

(HealthDay)—The presence of other health care workers improves hand hygiene adherence, according to a study published in the October issue of Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology.

Sierra Leone streets deserted as shutdown begins

13 hours ago

Sierra Leone's normally chaotic capital resembled a ghost town on Friday as residents were confined to their homes for the start of a three-day lockdown aimed at halting the deadly Ebola epidemic.

Sierra Leone launches controversial Ebola shutdown

14 hours ago

Sierra Leone on Friday launched a controversial three-day shutdown to contain the deadly spread of the Ebola virus, as the UN Security Council declared the deadly outbreak a threat to world peace.

User comments