China H7N9 bird flu toll up to 43

The death toll from the H7N9 bird flu outbreak in China has risen to 43, national health authorities said in their latest monthly update on the disease.

A total of 132 of the virus had been confirmed on the Chinese mainland by the end of June, the National Health and Family Planning Commission said late Wednesday.

The figures represent one more case and four deaths during the month.

The Shanghai government reported last month that a 56-year-old man, the husband of an earlier victim, had died bringing the death toll up to 40.

National health authorities did not provide details on the three remaining fatalities, but said that 85 H7N9 patients had been discharged from hospitals after treatment.

That would leave just four people still in hospital following the outbreak.

The virus was first reported in late March, with most cases confined to eastern China, and only one reported outside the mainland, in Taiwan.

Experts fear the possibility of the virus mutating into a form easily transmissible between humans, with the potential to trigger a pandemic.

But the World Health Organization has said there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

China reports another H7N9 bird flu death

Jun 27, 2013

Shanghai has reported another death from H7N9 bird flu, the local government said, bringing the total number of fatalities nationwide to at least 40.

China reports 24th death from new bird flu

Apr 29, 2013

The deadly H7N9 bird flu strain claimed a new victim on Monday when a hospital patient died in China, state media reported, bringing the death toll from the recently identified virus to 24.

Recommended for you

Ebola in mind, US colleges screen some students

Aug 29, 2014

University students from West Africa may be subject to extra health checks when they arrive to study in the United States as administrators try to insulate their campuses from the worst Ebola outbreak in ...

User comments