WHO holds off raising MERS alert level as Muslim hajj looms

July 17, 2013 by Jonathan Fowler

The World Health Organization on Wednesday held off from calling for travel restrictions related to the MERS virus striking Saudi Arabia as the kingdom braces for the Muslim hajj pilgrimage.

In a statement following a session of the UN health agency's emergency committee—whose rarity underlined global concerns about MERS—the WHO said there was currently no reason to step up its level of alert.

The meeting came amid mounting concern over the potential impact of the annual hajj in October, when millions of people will head to Islam's two holiest sites of Mecca and Medina, providing a possible means for MERS to spread around the globe.

"It is the unanimous decision of the committee that, with the information now available, and using a risk-assessment approach, the conditions for a of international concern have not at present been met," it said.

The WHO's stance so far has been that countries should remain vigilant, monitoring unusual patterns, notably if patients have been to the Middle East.

However, the committee also said the WHO should help nations boost surveillance and laboratory capacity and inform the public about how to reduce the risks of infection, for example via good hygiene.

While the WHO did not call for outright travel and trade restrictions, its chief Keiji Fukuda said it was poised to issue general recommendations.

"We do recognise that this is a risk for travellers and that there are certain steps that individual travellers and countries can take, for example for people who have serious medical conditions," he told reporters.

On Saturday, Saudi urged the elderly and chronically ill, as well as children and pregnant women, not to perform the hajj.

Officials in France, which has a large Muslim community, meanwhile said they had been informed that such individuals would not get Saudi visas.

Fukuda said that such moves were a national matter.

The emergency meeting took the form of a telephone conference of officials from affected countries and global experts, with the goal of advising WHO director general Margaret Chan.

"They're not saying this is unimportant, they're not saying we can now just move on to other things," said Fukuda, pressed on the decision not to declare an emergency.

"There's clearly a concern out there about this," he said, while asking: "If the director general goes ahead and declares an emergency, is it going to be helpful?"

MERS, short for Middle East Respiratory Syndrome coronavirus, claimed its first victim in Saudi Arabia in June 2012.

Since then, a total of 82 cases have been recorded worldwide, in countries including Jordan, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates, Tunisia, Britain, France and Italy.

Saudi Arabia, however, has borne the brunt, with 65 cases—and 38 of the 45 confirmed MERS deaths.

Experts are struggling to understand MERS, for which there is no vaccine.

It does not appear to spread easily but currently has an extremely high fatality rate of 55 percent.

It is a cousin of SARS, which erupted in Asia in 2003 and infected 8,273 people, nine percent of whom died.

SARS-panic, plus restrictions on travel and public gatherings, sowed economic havoc in affected countries.

Like SARS, MERS is thought to have jumped from animals to humans, and shares the former's flu-like symptoms—but differs by causing kidney failure.

The last WHO emergency meeting was during the 2009 H1N1 influenza outbreak, which is believed to have claimed tens of thousands of lives, raising fears of a pandemic like Spanish Flu, which killed millions after World War I.

Explore further: Saudi declares new death from MERS virus

Related Stories

Saudi declares new death from MERS virus

June 24, 2013

A Saudi man has died from the MERS virus, bringing the kingdom's death toll from the SARS-like infection to 34, the ministry of health said on Monday.

Saudi records two new deaths from MERS

July 3, 2013

A Saudi man and a woman have died from the MERS virus, raising the death toll from the SARS-like infection in the kingdom to 36, the health ministry said on Wednesday.

Two new MERS deaths in Saudi: ministry

July 7, 2013

A Saudi man and a child have died from the MERS virus, bringing the number of deaths from the respiratory infection in the kingdom to 38, the health ministry said on Sunday.

Recommended for you

Monkeys in Asia harbor virus from humans, other species

November 19, 2015

When it comes to spreading viruses, bats are thought to be among the worst. Now a new study of nearly 900 nonhuman primates in Bangladesh and Cambodia shows that macaques harbor more diverse astroviruses, which can cause ...

One-step test for hepatitis C virus infection developed

November 14, 2015

UC Irvine Health researchers have developed a cost-effective one-step test that screens, detects and confirms hepatitis C virus (HCV) infections. Dr. Ke-Qin Hu, director of hepatology services, will present findings at the ...


Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.