Cuba reports 163 new cholera cases for year (Update)

August 27, 2013

Cuba has reported a cholera outbreak to international health monitors, with 163 new cases this year associated with three provinces.

According to a bulletin by the Pan American Health Organization, island authorities reported Friday that the cases were linked to Havana, Santiago and Camaguey provinces.

Patients who contracted the waterborne disease included 12 travelers from European and Latin American nations. There were no reported fatalities.

In Havana, the outbreak was traced to two food service centers where some food handlers were found to be infected with cholera without displaying any symptoms.

"The food outlets have since adopted appropriate sanitary measures," the Pan American Health Organization said.

Cuban state media announced last summer that cholera had sickened 417 people and killed three. It had been unheard of on the island for years. In January there was another report of 51 cases in Havana.

There has been no word since then about the disease in official media such as Communist Party newspaper Granma.

But state television and posters in clinics have been reminding Cubans of the importance of good hygiene lately, as they typically do during the country's hot and humid tropical summers, when diarrheic diseases increase.

Last week the United States issued a travel alert for Cuba due to cholera.

Cholera causes severe dehydration that can be fatal, but it is treatable if detected in time.

Cuban medical workers have played an important role in treating the disease in nearby Haiti, where cholera has killed thousands in recent years.

Explore further: Cuba's first cholera outbreak in 130 years kills three

Related Stories

No new cholera deaths in Cuba

July 14, 2012

(AP) — Cuba's Health Ministry on Saturday reported 158 cases of cholera, nearly three times as many as previously disclosed, but said there were no new deaths and the outbreak appears to have been contained and on the ...

Cuba declares cholera outbreak over

August 28, 2012

Cuba's health ministry said Tuesday the country's first cholera outbreak in 130 years is over after three deaths and more than 400 confirmed cases.

Cuba acknowledges 51 cholera cases (Update 3)

January 15, 2013

Cuba's Public Health Ministry on Tuesday acknowledged 51 new cases of cholera in the capital amid growing concerns about the illness' spread and disappointment in the diplomatic community over the government's lack of transparency.

Recommended for you

Ebola virus mutations may help it evade drug treatment

September 11, 2015

Genetic mutations called "escape variants" in the deadly Ebola virus appear to block the ability of antibody-based treatments to ward off infection, according to a team of U.S. Army scientists and collaborators. Their findings, ...


Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.