New H7N9 bird flu death confirmed in China

A Chinese woman infected with the deadly H7N9 bird flu virus died of multiple organ failure, a Beijing hospital said, bringing the total fatalities from the disease to 45.

The 61-year-old tested positive for the virus on July 20 after she fell ill in Hebei province in northern China.

She was taken to Beijing's Chaoyang Hospital for treatment and died on Sunday, the hospital said in a statement.

A total of 134 cases have now been confirmed on the Chinese mainland, including one in Guangdong, the first in the southern province, which was reported on Saturday.

State news agency Xinhua said then that 44 people had died of the disease.

The virus was first reported in late March, with most cases confined to eastern China, and only one reported outside the mainland, in Taiwan.

Scientists reported last week the first likely case of direct person-to-person transmission of the H7N9.

But they said there was no cause for panic as the virus's transmissibility remained "limited and non-sustainable".

Cases of H7N9 have dropped significantly in recent months.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

New case of H7N9 bird flu confirmed in China

Aug 11, 2013

A Chinese poultry worker was confirmed as having contracted the deadly H7N9 bird flu virus, health officials said, the first case in the southern Guangdong province.

China H7N9 bird flu toll up to 43

Jul 11, 2013

The death toll from the H7N9 bird flu outbreak in China has risen to 43, national health authorities said in their latest monthly update on the disease.

China reports 24th death from new bird flu

Apr 29, 2013

The deadly H7N9 bird flu strain claimed a new victim on Monday when a hospital patient died in China, state media reported, bringing the death toll from the recently identified virus to 24.

H7N9 bird flu spreads to central China's Hunan

Apr 27, 2013

China's deadly outbreak of H7N9 bird flu has spread to the central province of Hunan, local health authorities said Saturday, the third announcement in three days of a case in a new location.

Recommended for you

Sierra Leone faces criticism over Ebola shutdown

8 hours ago

Sierra Leone began the second day of a 72-hour nationwide shutdown aimed at containing the spread of the deadly Ebola virus on Saturday amid criticism that the action was a poorly planned publicity stunt.

Presence of peers ups health workers' hand hygiene

23 hours ago

(HealthDay)—The presence of other health care workers improves hand hygiene adherence, according to a study published in the October issue of Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology.

Sierra Leone streets deserted as shutdown begins

Sep 19, 2014

Sierra Leone's normally chaotic capital resembled a ghost town on Friday as residents were confined to their homes for the start of a three-day lockdown aimed at halting the deadly Ebola epidemic.

Sierra Leone launches controversial Ebola shutdown

Sep 19, 2014

Sierra Leone on Friday launched a controversial three-day shutdown to contain the deadly spread of the Ebola virus, as the UN Security Council declared the deadly outbreak a threat to world peace.

User comments