Saudi Arabia: One more death from new virus

Saudi Arabia says one more man has died from a new respiratory virus related to SARS, bringing to 40 the number of deadly cases in the kingdom at the center of the growing outbreak.

The Saudi Health Ministry said Sunday the 51-year-old man who died in Riyadh was also suffering from cancer and other chronic diseases, while tests of two new suspected cases involving two Saudi men in the southwestern province of Asir proved positive.

The new virus is related to SARS, or , which killed some 800 people in a global outbreak in 2003. It belongs to a family of viruses that most often causes the common cold.

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Saudi man dies of MERS virus: ministry

Jul 28, 2013

A Saudi man has died of the coronavirus MERS and another has contracted the virus, the health ministry said on Saturday, bringing the kingdom's deaths from the virus to 39.

Saudi Arabia reports three cases of SARS-like virus

May 03, 2013

Saudi Arabia's Health Ministry has confirmed three more cases of a new respiratory virus related to SARS, bringing to 10 the number of cases it reported this week, including five deadly ones.

Saudi records two new deaths from MERS

Jul 03, 2013

A Saudi man and a woman have died from the MERS virus, raising the death toll from the SARS-like infection in the kingdom to 36, the health ministry said on Wednesday.

UAE identifies 4 new cases of SARS-like virus

Jul 19, 2013

(AP)—Health authorities in the United Arab Emirates have identified four new cases of a respiratory virus related to SARS whose main concentration has been in neighboring Saudi Arabia.

Recommended for you

Ebola vaccine promising in first human trials

2 hours ago

Researchers say they are one step closer to developing an Ebola vaccine, with a Phase 1 trial showing promising results, but it will be months at the earliest before it can be used in the field.

At one month, US Ebola monitors finding no cases

5 hours ago

The U.S. program that requires weeks of monitoring for travelers from African countries with Ebola reaches the one-month mark Thursday. And so far, no cases of the disease have turned up.

EU calls for 5,000 doctors to fight Ebola

5 hours ago

The European Commission called for 5,000 doctors to be sent from EU states to combat west Africa's Ebola epidemic, a European source with knowledge of the matter said on Wednesday.

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.