Saudi man dies of MERS virus

A Saudi man has died of the coronavirus MERS, bringing the kingdom's death toll from the SARS-like virus to 42, health authorities said Wednesday, adding a new case was registered.

The 38-year-old man who died in the eastern city of Hafr al-Baten had been "suffering from a severe lung infection," the health ministry said on its website.

It said that an expat in the western city of Medina suffering from was under intensive care after he contracted the virus, which began in the kingdom's Eastern Province.

Saudi Arabia is the country worst hit by MERS, which has killed 47 people globally.

The Saudi authorities say 84 people have been infected, representing the majority of those who contracted the virus worldwide.

Experts are struggling to understand MERS—Middle East Respiratory Syndrome—for which there is still no vaccine and which has an extremely high of more than 51 percent.

It is considered a cousin of the SARS virus that erupted in Asia in 2003 and infected 8,273 people, nine percent of whom died.

Like SARS, MERS is thought to have jumped from animals to humans, and it shares the former's flu-like symptoms—but differs by also causing kidney failure.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Saudi man dies of MERS virus: ministry

Aug 25, 2013

A Saudi man has died of the coronavirus MERS, bringing the kingdom's death toll from the SARS-like virus to 41, while two new cases were registered, the government said Sunday.

Saudi man dies of MERS virus: ministry

Jul 28, 2013

A Saudi man has died of the coronavirus MERS and another has contracted the virus, the health ministry said on Saturday, bringing the kingdom's deaths from the virus to 39.

MERS case in Qatar

Aug 20, 2013

Health authorities in Qatar on Tuesday announced the first case of MERS coronavirus in the Gulf state, with a 59-year-old man infected.

Qatar announces new MERS infection

Aug 27, 2013

Health authorities in Qatar announced the second confirmed case in a week of the MERS coronavirus in the Gulf state, with a 29-year-old man infected and in intensive care.

Recommended for you

Sierra Leone faces criticism over Ebola shutdown

19 hours ago

Sierra Leone began the second day of a 72-hour nationwide shutdown aimed at containing the spread of the deadly Ebola virus on Saturday amid criticism that the action was a poorly planned publicity stunt.

Presence of peers ups health workers' hand hygiene

Sep 19, 2014

(HealthDay)—The presence of other health care workers improves hand hygiene adherence, according to a study published in the October issue of Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology.

Sierra Leone streets deserted as shutdown begins

Sep 19, 2014

Sierra Leone's normally chaotic capital resembled a ghost town on Friday as residents were confined to their homes for the start of a three-day lockdown aimed at halting the deadly Ebola epidemic.

Sierra Leone launches controversial Ebola shutdown

Sep 19, 2014

Sierra Leone on Friday launched a controversial three-day shutdown to contain the deadly spread of the Ebola virus, as the UN Security Council declared the deadly outbreak a threat to world peace.

User comments