Saudi 'optimistic' on MERS-free hajj

Saudi authorities are optimistic that October's hajj pilgrimage to the kingdom, one of the world's annual largest gatherings, will pass without outbreaks of the deadly MERS coronavirus, the health minister said Saturday.

The virus, which appeared first in the kingdom last year, has killed 58 people worldwide, 49 of them in Saudi Arabia, according to official Saudi figures and the World Health Organisation (WHO).

But "we are optimistic we can achieve yet another success as the hajj pilgrimage season nears" after the minor pilgrimage season during the fasting month of Ramadan "succeeded despite health challenges such as the coronavirus," said Abdullah al-Rabia.

No MERS outbreaks were recorded at last year's hajj, nor during the Umrah season in July and August of this year.

Saudi Arabia has "longstanding experience" dealing with health challenges brought by the large numbers of people who come to the kingdom—home to Islam's holiest sites.

Around two million people are expected at this year's hajj, which begins on October 13 and lasts five days.

Authorities have urged the elderly and chronically ill to avoid the event and have reduced the number of people they will allow to perform come.

The WHO said on Thursday it had been informed of 132 lab-confirmed cases of MERS, including the deaths.

With the exception of a cluster of cases in the eastern town of Al-Ihsa, the focal point of the outbreak has been the capital, scientists said Friday in an online report published on The Lancet.

Experts are struggling to understand MERS, for which there is still no vaccine.

It is considered a cousin of the SARS virus that erupted in Asia in 2003 and infected 8,273 people, nine percent of whom died.

Like SARS, MERS is thought to have jumped from animals to humans, and it shares the former's flu-like symptoms—but differs by also causing .

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Another 3 die of MERS virus in Saudi Arabia

Sep 08, 2013

Another three people have died in Saudi Arabia after contracting the MERS coronavirus, the health ministry said Sunday, bringing the kingdom's total fatalities of the SARS-like virus to 47.

Saudi man dies of MERS virus

Aug 28, 2013

A Saudi man has died of the coronavirus MERS, bringing the kingdom's death toll from the SARS-like virus to 42, health authorities said Wednesday, adding a new case was registered.

Recommended for you

US looking past Ebola to prepare for next outbreak

4 hours ago

The next Ebola or the next SARS. Maybe even the next HIV. Even before the Ebola epidemic in West Africa is brought under control, U.S. public health officials are girding for the next health disaster.

Can robots help stop the Ebola outbreak?

13 hours ago

The US military has enlisted a new germ-killing weapon in the fight against Ebola—a four-wheeled robot that can disinfect a room in minutes with pulses of ultraviolet light.

New bird flu case in Germany

13 hours ago

A worrying new strain of bird flu has been observed for the first time in a wild bird in northern Germany, the agriculture ministry said Saturday.

Mali announces new Ebola case

Nov 22, 2014

Mali announced Saturday a new case of Ebola in a man who is fighting for his life in an intensive care unit in the capital Bamako.

Plague outbreak kills 40 in Madagascar: WHO

Nov 22, 2014

An outbreak of plague has killed 40 people in Madagascar, the World Health Organization said, warning that the disease could spread rapidly in the country's densely populated capital Antananarivo.

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.