S. Korea culls ducks after suspected bird flu test

South Korea on Friday started culling thousands of poultry after a preliminary test indicated the first possible outbreak of bird flu since 2011, officials said.

A suspected case of was reported Thursday at a poultry farm in Gochang in North Jeolla Province, some 300 kilometers (187.5 miles) southwest of Seoul, the agricultural ministry said.

Local authorities had already began culling all of the more than 20,000 ducks on the farm, it said.

Quarantine measures were also enforced at 24 other farms in four different provinces that were known to have purchased ducks from the Gochang farm.

Further testing from Gochang was under way, but the ministry said it was "highly likely" it would be confirmed as H5N1 avian flu.

The last outbreak in South Korea occurred in 2011, when more than six million poultry were culled at more than 280 farms across the country.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Bangladesh slaughters 150,000 birds over avian flu

Dec 26, 2012

Bangladesh's livestock authorities are slaughtering around 150,000 chickens at a giant poultry farm near Dhaka after the worst outbreak of avian flu in five years, officials said Wednesday.

China reports bird flu outbreak

Jul 03, 2012

Authorities in China's remote northwestern region of Xinjiang have culled more than 150,000 chickens following an outbreak of bird flu, officials said.

Recommended for you

Sierra Leone faces criticism over Ebola shutdown

22 hours ago

Sierra Leone began the second day of a 72-hour nationwide shutdown aimed at containing the spread of the deadly Ebola virus on Saturday amid criticism that the action was a poorly planned publicity stunt.

Presence of peers ups health workers' hand hygiene

Sep 19, 2014

(HealthDay)—The presence of other health care workers improves hand hygiene adherence, according to a study published in the October issue of Infection Control and Hospital Epidemiology.

Sierra Leone streets deserted as shutdown begins

Sep 19, 2014

Sierra Leone's normally chaotic capital resembled a ghost town on Friday as residents were confined to their homes for the start of a three-day lockdown aimed at halting the deadly Ebola epidemic.

Sierra Leone launches controversial Ebola shutdown

Sep 19, 2014

Sierra Leone on Friday launched a controversial three-day shutdown to contain the deadly spread of the Ebola virus, as the UN Security Council declared the deadly outbreak a threat to world peace.

User comments