Fla health workers test negative for MERS virus

The Florida Department of Health says all health care workers who came into contact with a Saudi resident infected with the second confirmed MERS case in the U.S. have tested negative for the rare virus.

Officials said in a statement Thursday that they are working closely with Orlando's Dr. P. Phillips Hospital and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to ensure appropriate care for the 44-year-old man. He remains hospitalized, but is improving.

FDH says there is no broad risk of MERS infection for the general public.

The patient with whom the workers came into contact arrived at Phillips on May 8. Three days earlier, the patient had visited Orlando Regional Medical Center.

MERS is a respiratory illness that begins with flu-like symptoms, but can lead to shortness of breath, pneumonia and death.

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

US MERS patient still has fever

May 13, 2014

Employees at two Florida hospitals who came into contact with a Saudi resident infected by a mysterious virus are being monitored for symptoms and have been told to stay home for two weeks, health officials said Tuesday.

Two US hospital workers test negative for MERS

May 14, 2014

Two healthcare workers at a Florida hospital that is caring for a Saudi patient with the dangerous MERS virus have tested negative for the illness, the hospital said Wednesday.

Recommended for you

Ebola vaccine promising in first human trials

8 hours ago

Researchers say they are one step closer to developing an Ebola vaccine, with a Phase 1 trial showing promising results, but it will be months at the earliest before it can be used in the field.

At one month, US Ebola monitors finding no cases

11 hours ago

The U.S. program that requires weeks of monitoring for travelers from African countries with Ebola reaches the one-month mark Thursday. And so far, no cases of the disease have turned up.

EU calls for 5,000 doctors to fight Ebola

11 hours ago

The European Commission called for 5,000 doctors to be sent from EU states to combat west Africa's Ebola epidemic, a European source with knowledge of the matter said on Wednesday.

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.