Carbon monoxide poisons 71 children at Quebec daycare

Seventy-one children at a Quebec daycare center were rushed to hospital Tuesday with carbon monoxide poisoning, authorities in Canada said.

Workers at the daycare in Saint-Eustache, 45 kilometers (30 miles) northwest of Montreal, called for help after they and several of the children began vomiting and complaining of violent headaches.

Symptoms in only a few of the children were initially dismissed because daycare staff believed they could be signs of flu.

But they quickly realized something was seriously wrong when they too began to fall ill, Quebec government minister Francine Charbonneau told a press conference.

"Five children developed a bit more severe than the others" and were treated in while the others remained under observation, she said.

Carbon monoxide can cause headaches, nausea and fatigue. Prolonged exposure can be fatal.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Nipping violence in the bud in children

Dec 08, 2008

Annie knocks Melissa to the floor to get her doll. Alexis screams at the kid who grabbed his toy truck. Every day, in daycares across Quebec, similar scenes are witnessed by early childhood educators who try to foster calm ...

Recommended for you

Chile's Bachelet sends abortion bill to Congress

14 hours ago

Chile's President Michelle Bachelet on Saturday pressed ahead with plans to decriminalize abortion in certain cases, a decades-old taboo in one of Latin America's most socially conservative countries.

Jamaica Senate starts debate on pot decriminalization bill

Jan 30, 2015

Jamaica's Senate on Friday started debating a bill that would decriminalize possession of small amounts of pot and establish a licensing agency to regulate a lawful medical marijuana industry on the island where the drug ...

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.