Carbon monoxide poisons 71 children at Quebec daycare

Seventy-one children at a Quebec daycare center were rushed to hospital Tuesday with carbon monoxide poisoning, authorities in Canada said.

Workers at the daycare in Saint-Eustache, 45 kilometers (30 miles) northwest of Montreal, called for help after they and several of the children began vomiting and complaining of violent headaches.

Symptoms in only a few of the children were initially dismissed because daycare staff believed they could be signs of flu.

But they quickly realized something was seriously wrong when they too began to fall ill, Quebec government minister Francine Charbonneau told a press conference.

"Five children developed a bit more severe than the others" and were treated in while the others remained under observation, she said.

Carbon monoxide can cause headaches, nausea and fatigue. Prolonged exposure can be fatal.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Nipping violence in the bud in children

Dec 08, 2008

Annie knocks Melissa to the floor to get her doll. Alexis screams at the kid who grabbed his toy truck. Every day, in daycares across Quebec, similar scenes are witnessed by early childhood educators who try to foster calm ...

Recommended for you

AMA 'Code of Ethics' offers guidance for physicians

5 hours ago

(HealthDay)—The American Medical Association (AMA) Code of Ethics and other articles provide guidance for physicians in relation to public health emergencies, according to a report from the AMA.

Pot-infused edibles: One toke over the line in Colorado?

9 hours ago

Marijuana shops have sprouted across Denver ever since Colorado legalized the drug for adults in January, but the popularity of pot-infused edibles has surprised authorities, and parents are seeking a ban ahead of Halloween.

US sues Gerber over claims on infant formula

11 hours ago

U.S. government regulators announced Thursday they were suing Gerber, the well-known baby food maker, for claiming that its Good Start Gentle formula can prevent or reduce allergies in children.

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.