Saudi health minister sacks deputy as MERS toll rises

Saudi Arabia's health minister has sacked one of his deputies as the death toll by the MERS coronavirus reached 190, the ministry said on Twitter on Tuesday.

No reasons were given for the dismissal of deputy minister Ziad Memish.

The then health minister Abdullah al-Rabiah was dismissed in April without official explanation and replaced by labour minister Adel Fakieh, who promised "transparency" in providing the public and media with information about the Middle East Respiratory Syndrome.

MERS is considered a deadlier but less transmissible cousin of the SARS virus that appeared in Asia in 2003 and infected 8,273 people, nine percent of whom died.

Like SARS, it appears to cause a lung infection, with patients suffering coughing, breathing difficulties and a temperature. But MERS differs in that it causes rapid kidney failure.

Last month, Fakieh announced he was sacking the head of the King Fahd Hospital in the western city of Jeddah, where a rise in MERS infections among medical staff sparked panic among the public.

Memish's dismissal comes as the health ministry said in its latest bulletin late Monday that 190 people have died of MERS in the kingdom, the country worst-hit by the virus which first appeared in September 2012.

It said the total number of infections was now 575.

Most cases of the disease have been in Saudi Arabia, but the virus has been imported to more than a dozen other countries. All of those cases have involved people who became ill while in the Middle East.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Saudi health minister sacked as MERS toll rises

Apr 21, 2014

Saudi Arabia dismissed its health minister on Monday just days after he visited a hospital at the centre of growing concerns about the kingdom's handling of the MERS virus.

Saudis announce two new MERS deaths

May 20, 2014

Saudi Arabia on Tuesday reported two new deaths from the MERS coronavirus, taking to 175 the overall number of fatalities from the respiratory disease in the world's worst-hit country.

Saudi reports five new MERS deaths

May 18, 2014

Saudi Arabia has reported five new deaths from the MERS respiratory virus, bringing the death toll in the world's worst-hit country to 168.

Saudi announces new MERS death

May 19, 2014

Saudi health authorities reported Monday a new death from the MERS coronavirus, taking to 169 the overall number of fatalities from the disease in the world's worst-hit country.

Recommended for you

Ebola aid dogged by coordination lags in Guinea

14 hours ago

Eight months into West Africa's Ebola outbreak, aid efforts in Guinea still suffer from poor coordination, hampering deployments of international support to help quell a virus that has killed more than 1,200 ...

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.