Sierra Leone raises Ebola death toll

Sierra Leone raised its death toll from the highly contagious Ebola virus on Monday, sparking fears that the deadly epidemic gripping west Africa is spreading.

Health ministry spokesman Yaya Tunis said one more patient had been killed by the tropical pathogen since the government announced a of four on Friday last week.

"As of now, the update is 15 confirmed cases out of 36 suspected cases documented. Out of the 15, we now have five deaths," he told reporters.

Three of the patients had been undergoing treatment at a health facility in eastern Sierra Leone while two others were among four sick patients removed from an isolation facility by and taken back to their home village.

The impoverished west African nation last week confirmed its first deaths from Ebola in the eastern regions of Kailahun and Kenema, near the border with Guinea, the epicentre of the outbreak.

The virus is one of the deadliest known to man, with more than 100 confirmed deaths from the disease in west Africa since January.

According to a May 30 statement by the WHO, 291 cases of suspected Ebola, of which 193 have resulted in deaths, have been reported in the Republic of Guinea.

Out of the 291 cases, WHO said that 172 were confirmed Ebola cases, 108 of them deadly.

Ebola has also been reported in neighbouring Liberia, with a total of at least 10 deaths confirmed or suspected to have been caused by Ebola.

The tropical virus can fell its victims within days, causing severe fever and muscle pain, weakness, vomiting and diarrhoea—in some cases shutting down organs and causing unstoppable bleeding.

No medicine or vaccine exists for the Ebola, which is named after a small river in the Democratic Republic of Congo.

Sierra Leone has restricted travel in some areas, and reaffirmed an earlier ban on trips to funerals in neighbouring Guinea in a bid to stop the spread of the disease.

"We are working hard to contain the disease and to ensure we stop the spread," Tunis said.

Deputy Labour Minister Augustine Kortu told reporters after a weekend trip to the stricken eastern area that the situation was calm, although locals were "jittery".

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Second person dies from Ebola virus in Sierra Leone

May 28, 2014

Sierra Leone Wednesday confirmed a second death from the Ebola virus, as the WHO warned of possible further contagion as others sick with the haemorrhagic fever had been moved out of isolation and back to their village.

Recommended for you

Ebola aid dogged by coordination lags in Guinea

7 hours ago

Eight months into West Africa's Ebola outbreak, aid efforts in Guinea still suffer from poor coordination, hampering deployments of international support to help quell a virus that has killed more than 1,200 ...

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.