Sierra Leone Ebola outbreak death toll now five

A British mining company says some of its personnel have left Sierra Leone amid an outbreak of the Ebola disease that has killed at least five people.

London Mining Company spokesman Osman Lahai said Tuesday that eight of their non-essential staff left the country over the weekend as a result of the deadly viral outbreak.

No cases have been reported near the company's Marampa mine.

But Lahai says the company also has introduced mandatory body temperature screening at their sites, and those with a would be referred to hospital for further examination.

Health officials have confirmed 15 cases of Ebola in Sierra Leone following outbreaks in Guinea and Liberia. At least five people already have died in Sierra Leone though no cases have been confirmed in the capital.

not rated yet
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Sierra Leone raises Ebola death toll

Jun 02, 2014

Sierra Leone raised its death toll from the highly contagious Ebola virus on Monday, sparking fears that the deadly epidemic gripping west Africa is spreading.

Second person dies from Ebola virus in Sierra Leone

May 28, 2014

Sierra Leone Wednesday confirmed a second death from the Ebola virus, as the WHO warned of possible further contagion as others sick with the haemorrhagic fever had been moved out of isolation and back to their village.

Recommended for you

WHO: Number of Ebola cases passes 10,000

4 hours ago

The number of people believed sickened by Ebola has passed 10,000, according to figures released Saturday by the World Health Organization, as the outbreak continues to spread.

NY and NJ say they will require Ebola quarantines

16 hours ago

The governors of New Jersey and New York on Friday ordered a mandatory, 21-day quarantine for all doctors and other arriving travelers who have had contact with Ebola victims in West Africa.

User comments