Ebola-hit African states seal off outbreak epicentre

Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone announced Friday an isolation zone sealing off the epicentre of the world's worst-ever Ebola outbreak, where the three countries meet.

"We have agreed to take important and extraordinary actions at the inter-country level to focus on cross-border regions that have more than 70 percent of the epidemic," said Hadja Saran Darab, the secretary-general of the Mano River Union bloc grouping the West African nations.

"These areas will be isolated by police and military. The people in these areas being isolated will be provided with material support."

The announcement came at the end of an emergency summit, also attended by Ivory Coast and the World Health Organization, to launch a $100 million response to an epidemic which has killed more 700 people.

"The healthcare services in these zones will be strengthened for treatment, testing and contact tracing to be done effectively.

"Burials will be done in accordance with national health regulations. We agreed to provide our health personnel with incentives, treatment and protection so they could come back to work."

Darab did not outline the exact area to be part of the isolation zone, but the epicentre of the outbreak spreads from Kenema in eastern Sierra Leone to Macenta in southern Guinea, almost 300 kilometres (185 miles) away.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Second person dies from Ebola virus in Sierra Leone

May 28, 2014

Sierra Leone Wednesday confirmed a second death from the Ebola virus, as the WHO warned of possible further contagion as others sick with the haemorrhagic fever had been moved out of isolation and back to their village.

Recommended for you

Syria hit by flesh-eating maggot disease

15 hours ago

Three cases of myiasis have been reported near Damascus, marking the first appearance of the flesh-eating maggot disease in Syria, UN health experts said Friday.

Sperm can carry Ebola for 82 days: WHO

16 hours ago

Sperm can carry the Ebola virus for at least 82 days, the World Health Organization said Friday, urging men recovering from the disease to use condoms for three months after the onset of symptoms.

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.