Nigeria confirms five more Ebola cases, seven in total, 2 deaths

Nigeria on Wednesday confirmed five new cases of Ebola in Lagos and a second death from the virus, bringing the total number of infections in sub-Saharan Africa's largest city to seven.

"Nigeria has now recorded 7 confirmed cases of Ebola Virus Disease (EVB)" health minister Onyebuchi Chukwu said.

Those who have died include the "index patient," a Liberian who brought the virus to Lagos on July 20, and a nurse who treated him, the minister added.

"All the Nigerians diagnosed with EBV were primary contacts" of Patrick Sawyer, who worked for Liberia's and contracted the virus from his sister, Chukwu said.

He travelled to Nigeria, Africa's most populous country, for a meeting of west African officials.

Visibly sick upon arrival at the international airport in Lagos, officials said he was immediately transferred to the First Consultants hospital in the upmarket Ikoyi neighbourhood.

He died in quarantine on July 25 and the hospital has since been closed.

The five Ebola patients are being treated in an isolation ward in Lagos, the minister told journalists.

Since breaking out earlier this year, the tropical virus has claimed almost 900 lives and infected more than 1,603 people across west Africa. The other cases have been reported in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

Related Stories

Nigeria confirms doctor as second Ebola case (Update)

date Aug 04, 2014

Nigerian authorities on Monday confirmed a second case of Ebola in Africa's most populous country, an alarming setback as officials across the region battle to stop the spread of a disease that has killed ...

WHO: Death toll from Ebola in W. Africa hits 887

date Aug 04, 2014

Authorities in Nigeria on Monday announced a second case of Ebola in Africa's most populous country, an alarming setback as the total death toll from the disease in several West Africa countries shot up by ...

Recommended for you

Philippines confirms second MERS case (Update)

date 20 hours ago

A foreigner who flew to the Philippines from the Middle East has become the second confirmed case of MERS in the country, the health department said Monday, as a deadly outbreak in South Korea spreads alarm across Asia.

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.