News tagged with rural areas
Even if you didn't eat your veggies or drink your milk as a child, your height is still in your hands, reveal new findings by economists from the University of Southern California, Harvard University and Peking University.
Health Apr 01, 2013 | 4.8 / 5 (4) | 0 |
A new study finds that Americans living in rural areas are more likely to be obese than city dwellers. Published in the National Rural Health Association's Fall 2012 Journal of Rural Health, the study indicates that reside ...
Overweight and Obesity Sep 14, 2012 | 5 / 5 (1) | 0
(HealthDay)—The stress of readjusting to civilian life is a major reason some U.S. soldiers seek treatment for post-traumatic stress disorder, a new study finds.
Psychology & Psychiatry Sep 06, 2012 | 5 / 5 (2) | 0
Graphic and/or emotional television anti-smoking ads get more smokers to try to quit than less intense ads, according to a new study in the American Journal of Preventive Medicine.
Addiction Oct 09, 2012 | not rated yet | 0
China reported two human cases of bird flu in the southwestern city of Guiyang on Sunday, with both patients in a critical condition, the official Xinhua news agency said.
Diseases, Conditions, Syndromes Feb 10, 2013 | not rated yet | 0
The introduction of smoke-free legislation in England was immediately followed by a fall in the number of children admitted to hospital with asthma symptoms, a new study has found.
Pediatrics Jan 21, 2013 | 5 / 5 (1) | 0
Stress during pregnancy puts mothers' and their babies' health at risk, previous research has shown. Now, a University of Missouri study indicates low-income pregnant women in rural areas experience high ...
Health Jan 29, 2013 | 1 / 5 (1) | 0
(HealthDay) -- The prevalence of childhood food allergy is associated with urban/rural status, even after adjusting for confounding variables, according to a study published online May 17 in Clinical Pediatrics.
Pediatrics Jun 15, 2012 | 5 / 5 (1) | 0 |
Women living in rural areas face unique challenges concerning health and wellness issues. Now, an MU researcher has found that rural women are more likely than women living in cities to be diagnosed with late-stage breast ...
Cancer Oct 24, 2011 | not rated yet | 0
The Nobel laureate who helped to discover HIV says there is hope for an AIDS cure following recent discoveries, in an interview with AFP ahead of a global conference on the disease.
HIV & AIDS Jul 20, 2012 | 3 / 5 (2) | 0
Agricultural authorities in northwest China have culled about 95,000 chickens after an outbreak of the H5N1 bird flu virus, state press reported Wednesday.
Diseases, Conditions, Syndromes Apr 18, 2012 | 5 / 5 (1) | 0
A person tries to kill themselves in China every two minutes, the government and state media said Thursday, giving the country one of the highest suicide rates in the world.
Psychology & Psychiatry Sep 08, 2011 | not rated yet | 0
A scheme supporting newly graduated, unemployed, and retired midwives to work in rural areas of Nigeria and provide essential obstetric care has helped to improve maternal, newborn, and child health and could potentially ...
Health May 01, 2012 | not rated yet | 0 |
Haiti's health ministry is preparing to test a cholera vaccine on a hundred people, a year after an epidemic killed over 6,500 people, officials said Wednesday.
Medications Oct 19, 2011 | not rated yet | 0
An innovative program at the University of Missouri School of Medicine could help states deal with a dilemma in Washington, D.C. If deficit-reduction measures cut billions of dollars for training physicians ...
Health Sep 28, 2011 | 4 / 5 (1) | 2
Rural areas ( referred to as "the countryside") are large and isolated areas of a country, often with low population density. Today, 75 percent of the United States' inhabitants live in suburban and urban areas, but cities occupy only 2 percent of the country. Rural areas occupy the remaining 98 percent.
About 91 percent of the rural population now earn salaried incomes, often in urban areas. The 10 percent who still produce resources generate 20 percent of the world’s coal, copper, and oil; 10 percent of its wheat, 20 percent of its meat, and 50 percent of its corn. The efficiency of these farms is due in large part to the commercialization of the farming industry, and not single family operations.
For more information about Rural area, read the full article at
This text uses material from Wikipedia and is available under the GNU Free Documentation License.