Family sues Monster Energy makers over teen's death

October 20, 2012

The family of a 14-year-old Maryland girl is suing the California makers of Monster Energy, alleging Friday that too much caffeine in the popular energy drink led to her death.

Lawyers said the two 24-ounce (0.7 liter) cans of Monster Energy consumed by Anais Fournier in the 24 hours prior to her fatal cardiac arrest in December 2011 contained as much caffeine—480 milligrams—as 14 12-ounce cans of Coca-Cola.

The ensuing autopsy cited "cardiac arrhythmia due to caffeine toxicity" as the cause of death.

The family is asking the California Supreme Court for "all damages allowed by law," claiming that Monster Energy should be held responsible for wrongful death for allegedly failing to warn about its product's dangers.

By law, in the United States can contain no more than 71.5 of caffeine per 12 ounces. But the limit does not apply to energy drinks like Monster Energy that are considered .

"These drinks are death traps for young, developing like my daughter Anais," her mother Wendy Crossland said in a statement issued by the family's law firm, Goldberg, Finnegan and Mester.

"I just want Monster Energy to know their product can kill."

In a statement, the drink's manufacturer, Monster Beverage, said it was unaware of any fatality caused by any of the more than eight billion it has sold worldwide.

"Monster does not believe that its beverages are in any way responsible for the death of Ms. Fournier," it said, adding that it intended to "vigorously" defend itself in court.

The product website for Monster Energy claims the beverage is "the meanest energy supplement on the planet ... a wicked mega hit that delivers twice the buzz of a regular energy drink."

Explore further: Energy drink abuse highest among teens

Related Stories

Energy drink abuse highest among teens

January 19, 2012
(Medical Xpress) -- A recent study has revealed a dramatic increase in the number of calls to a poisons hotline relating to caffeine toxicity from energy drink consumption.

Australia experts call for energy drink warnings

January 16, 2012
Researchers in Australia on Monday called for health warnings on caffeine-loaded energy drinks following a spike in the number of people reporting medical problems after drinking them.

Recommended for you

Motorcycle crashes cause five times as many deaths as car accidents, six times the health costs

November 20, 2017
Motorcycle accidents are costly in terms of lives and health care costs. Compared with car accidents, motorcycle accidents cause 3 times the injuries, 6 times the medical costs and 5 times the deaths, found new research in ...

New shoe makes running 4 percent easier, 2-hour marathon possible, study shows

November 17, 2017
Eleven days after Boulder-born Shalane Flanagan won the New York City Marathon in new state-of-the-art racing flats known as "4%s," University of Colorado Boulder researchers have published the study that inspired the shoes' ...

Vaping while pregnant could cause craniofacial birth defects, study shows

November 16, 2017
Using e-cigarettes during pregnancy could cause birth defects of the oral cavity and face, according to a recent Virginia Commonwealth University study.

Study: For older women, every movement matters

November 16, 2017
Folding your laundry or doing the dishes might not be the most enjoyable parts of your day. But simple activities like these may help prolong your life, according to the findings of a new study in older women led by the University ...

When vegetables are closer in price to chips, people eat healthier, study finds

November 16, 2017
When healthier food, like vegetables and dairy products, is pricier compared to unhealthy items, like salty snacks and sugary sweets, Americans are significantly less likely to have a high-quality diet, a new Drexel University ...

Children's exposure to secondhand smoke may be vastly underestimated by parents

November 15, 2017
Four out of 10 children in the US are exposed to secondhand smoke, according to the American Heart Association. A new Tel Aviv University study suggests that parents who smoke mistakenly rely on their own physical senses ...

0 comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.