Available for desktop/laptop and tablet users on the Windows 8 platform, Mayo Clinic on Pregnancy is a trustworthy guide to pregnancy, childbirth, and baby's first three months. It was developed by Mayo Clinic leveraging the medical and lifestyle expertise of a team of Mayo's pregnancy experts in obstetrics and gynecology, genetics, nutrition, midwifery and lactation. The app also utilizes search, share and semantic zoom features for an improved user experience.
"Getting pregnant and becoming a parent are among the most significant experiences in a person's life and can be overwhelming," says Roger Harms, M.D., a Mayo Clinic specialist in obstetrics and gynecology, and senior medical director for operations in Mayo Clinic's Global Business Solutions division. "This app will guide you from conception to delivery, and see you through the first three months with your newborn to give you peace of mind and enhance your sense of wonder throughout the experience."
Moms-to-be can simply enter the baby's due date (or birthdate) or the date of their last menstrual period to start receiving weekly lifestyle and health guidance. Mayo Clinic on Pregnancy provides tips and guidance for all aspects of pregnancy, birth and up to 12 weeks postpartum, with all the information expectant parents need to have a safe, healthy pregnancy and early weeks of parenthood. The app also will provide easy navigation to find some of Mayo Clinic's other pregnancy-related resources such as the "Pregnancy and You" blog, the Mayo Clinic Guide to a Healthy Pregnancy, and the Mayo Clinic Guide to Your Baby's First Year.
Mayo Clinic on Pregnancy features:
- You and Your Baby: Moms-to-be can learn how their body is changing throughout their pregnancy, how the baby is developing, ways to relieve pregnancy symptoms and what to expect during labor and delivery.
- Medications and Immunizations: Insight into vaccine safety, medications that are safe during pregnancy and the benefits of prenatal vitamins.
- Lifestyle: Techniques on how to stay fit and healthy during pregnancy, ways for couples to stay connected with each other, and tips on making pregnancy easier and more comfortable while working.
- Nutrition: Answers to the most common questions regarding what women can and cannot eat during pregnancy and tips on healthy eating for mom and baby.
- Prenatal Care: What to expect at prenatal appointments, screenings and tests.
- Images and Slideshows: Professional medical illustrations and images from exercises to what a diaper rash looks like.
- Postpartum Care: Recovering from labor, exercise after pregnancy, knowing the signs of postpartum depression, and how to maintain intimacy after pregnancy.
- Infant Care: Tips on how to handle everything from spitting up to soothing a crying baby to feeding a newborn.
Explore further: Pre-Existing hypertension linked to depression in pregnant women