Juarez boy has massive tumor removed in New Mexico
An 11-year-old Mexican boy who had been suffering from a massive tumor and came to New Mexico for treatment has had the growth removed.
Kristean Alcocer of the First Baptist Church of Rio Rancho said the boy underwent surgery Monday at the University of New Mexico Children's Hospital to remove the tumor from his neck, shoulder and torso area.
Alcocer says the surgery lasted a more than 12 hours and involved 25 medical professionals.
In July 2012, U.S. Homeland Security Investigations assisted in picking up the boy and his parents from a neighborhood in Ciudad Juarez—one of the deadliest cities in the world due to drug cartels.
Federal agents helped the family seek care for the boy after First Baptist Church members saw him during a missionary visit.
© 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.