Florida officials: Aggressive efforts to stop Zika continue

Florida officials say they're continuing aggressive efforts to stop the spread of the Zika virus.

Gov. Rick Scott met Monday with Miami-Dade County officials to discuss Zika preparedness ahead of Florida's , when mosquitoes are most prevalent.

Officials said fewer travel-related cases are being reported in Florida so far this year, compared with last spring.

Officials also said state labs and Miami-Dade mosquito control operations added staff since last year's Zika outbreak. Counseling also is available for families affected by the virus that can cause severe brain-related birth defects.

Florida has reported two locally acquired Zika infections in 2017. Health officials said both patients likely contracted the virus last year in Miami-Dade County.

Zika mainly spreads by mosquito bites but it can also spread through sex.


Explore further

CDC: Don't donate sperm in three Florida counties due to Zika

© 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Citation: Florida officials: Aggressive efforts to stop Zika continue (2017, March 27) retrieved 18 September 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-03-florida-aggressive-efforts-zika.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
4 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more