2 polio outbreaks in Congo, World Health Organization says

The World Health Organization says two separate outbreaks of the polio virus have been confirmed in Congo. These are the first cases of polio in the vast Central African nation since 2012.

The U.N. health agency says cases have been confirmed in two districts of Haut-Lomami province and in Maniema province. It does not say how many cases have been confirmed.

WHO says there is a high risk of the highly contagious virus spreading. WHO and Congo's ministry of health are working on a response plan.

Polio had been reduced by more than 99.9 percent worldwide and had been eliminated in all but three countries: Afghanistan, Nigeria and Pakistan.

The virus some 30 years ago paralyzed more than 350,000 children each year in more than 125 countries.


Explore further

UN aims to immunize more than 115 million kids against polio

© 2017 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Citation: 2 polio outbreaks in Congo, World Health Organization says (2017, June 14) retrieved 18 January 2020 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-06-polio-outbreaks-congo-world-health.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
0 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments