Most older adults prefer to participate in medical decisions

Although most older Americans prefer to actively participate in making health care decisions, those with four or more chronic conditions are less likely to prefer active decision making.

Researchers analyzed a random sample of 2,017 who, with sample weights, represented approximately 33 million Medicare beneficiaries aged 65 and older. They found that 85 percent of older Americans in a community setting preferred to actively participate in medical decision making, but approximately one in every seven older Americans preferred a passive role, leaving health care decisions to doctors (15 percent, n=4.9 million).

Approximately one-quarter of older adults with four or more preferred a passive role, which was more than twice the odds of those that did not have multiple conditions after controlling for socio-demographic characteristics. Older adults with multiple condition clusters were relatively less likely to prefer active decision making compared to those with none or a single condition cluster.

The authors encourage primary care clinicians to invite older adults with four or more conditions or multiple condition clusters to participate in and to elicit goals and outcome preferences in those older adults who prefer less active participation.


Explore further

Four in ten older adults burdened by demands of health-care system

More information: Winnie C. Chi et al. Multimorbidity and Decision-Making Preferences Among Older Adults, The Annals of Family Medicine (2017). DOI: 10.1370/afm.2106
Journal information: Annals of Family Medicine

Citation: Most older adults prefer to participate in medical decisions (2017, November 20) retrieved 25 June 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2017-11-older-adults-medical-decisions.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
1 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more