Indian child dies from mother's 'snake bite' breast milk

India accounts for 46,000 of the 100,000 snakebite deaths around the world  each year
India accounts for 46,000 of the 100,000 snakebite deaths around the world each year

An Indian woman who was bitten by a snake in her sleep and unknowingly breastfed poisoned milk to her daughter has died along with the child, police said Friday.

The 35-year-old woman from Uttar Pradesh state did not realise she had been bitten when she woke and breastfed her daughter.

The three-year-old girl and the mother fell ill on Thursday and both died before they could reach hospital, inspector Vijay Singh told AFP.

The family spotted the snake in another room but the creature escaped.

A post-mortem is to be carried out but police have registered a case of , the officer added.

India is home to some 300 snake species and 60 are highly venomous, including the Indian cobra, krait, Russell's viper and saw-scaled viper.

India accounts for 46,000 of the 100,000 snakebite deaths around the world each year, according to a 2011 study by the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene.


Explore further

Death toll from India toxic liquor hits 31, dozens ill

© 2018 AFP

Citation: Indian child dies from mother's 'snake bite' breast milk (2018, May 25) retrieved 22 April 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-05-indian-child-dies-mother-snake.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
1155 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

May 25, 2018
YAY!!!! First to comment!

So, how venomous can a snake possibly be if you wake up and don't even notice you've been bitten?

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more