CDC updates info on multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children

CDC updates info on multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children

(HealthDay)—As of July 29, there have been a total of 570 U.S. cases of multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (MIS-C), according to research published in the Aug. 7 early-release issue of the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report.

Shana Godfred-Cato, D.O., from the CDC COVID-19 Response Team in Atlanta, and colleagues reviewed suspected cases of MIS-C reported to local and state health departments as of July 29, 2020.

The researchers identified 570 U.S. MIS-C patients (, 8 years; 55.4 percent male). Cases were disproportionately seen among Hispanic or Latino children (40.5 percent) and non-Hispanic black children (33.1 percent) versus non-Hispanic white (13.2 percent). Almost all patients (99.1 percent) had positive severe acute respiratory syndrome coronavirus 2 test results. Just over one-third of patients (35.6 percent) had a clinical course consistent with previously published MIS-C reports, including presentation with shock, cardiac dysfunction, , and markedly elevated inflammatory markers. The other two-thirds of MIS-C patients (64.4 percent) had manifestations that overlapped with acute COVID-19, had a less severe clinical course, or had features of Kawasaki disease. The median length of hospital stay was six days, and nearly two-thirds (63.9 percent) of patients required admission to an intensive care unit. Ten patients (1.8 percent) died.

"As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to expand in many jurisdictions, clinicians should be aware of the signs and symptoms of MIS-C and report suspected cases to their state or local health departments," the authors write.


Explore further

Report: 97,000 U.S. children infected with COVID-19 in late July

More information: Abstract/Full Text

Copyright © 2020 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

Citation: CDC updates info on multisystem inflammatory syndrome in children (2020, August 13) retrieved 24 November 2020 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08-cdc-info-multisystem-inflammatory-syndrome.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
3 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments