Two die of A(H1N1) swine flu in Mexico: official

An outbreak of A(H1N1) swine flu claimed the lives of two people -- 19 and 21 years old -- in Mexico's capital in the first weeks of the year, health authorities said Saturday.

The health secretary of Mexico's Federal District, Armando Ahued, said there were 138 confirmed cases of the flu, including 110 cases of A(H1N1), a of the swine flu that was first detected in 2009.

Nationwide, 333 cases of the virus have been confirmed, the federal government's health secretary said earlier in the week, without saying how many deaths had been attributed to it.

The latest victims were a 19-year-old and a 21-year-old who died in separate hospitals.

"The tendency toward an increase in is normal because January is the month with the lowest temperatures," said Ahued adding that the incidence of flu should begin to subside in February.

The first outbreak of the A(H1N1) virus occurred in April, 2009 in Mexico and the United States, and quickly became a that claimed the lives of 17,000 people. In Mexico alone, more than 1,250 people died.

The declared the pandemic over in 2010 as the flu returned to typical seasonal patterns.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Mexico state near US on alert after H1N1 deaths

Mar 28, 2011

Authorities in Mexico's Chihuahua state along the US border announced preventive health measures Sunday to stanch a return of an H1N1 epidemic after four people recently died of the virus.

Croatia registers first swine flu death this season

Dec 28, 2010

Croatia recorded its first death linked to swine flu this season as a 60-year-old man infected with H1N1 virus died at a Zagreb hospital, the national public health institute said on Tuesday.

Recommended for you

Two US nurses are declared cured of Ebola

13 minutes ago

Two American nurses were declared cured of Ebola on Friday, and one was healthy enough to leave hospital and make plans to meet President Barack Obama.

Aid group: No need to isolate staff treating Ebola

57 minutes ago

Doctors Without Borders insisted Friday, after one of its doctors who worked in Guinea came down with Ebola in New York, that quarantines of health workers returning from the hot zone are not necessary when ...

New York on alert over first Ebola case

1 hour ago

New York went on alert Friday as authorities sought to calm fears among the city's 8.4 million residents after a doctor tested positive for Ebola.

User comments