Big outbreak of child virus in Vietnam may worsen

Vietnam says a large ongoing outbreak of a common childhood virus could worsen this year.

The hand, foot and mouth virus has sickened more than 6,000 and killed nine children since January. They died from the strain EV-71, a more virulent enterovirus.

The said this year's infection rate is seven times higher than it was during the first six weeks of 2011. But it has slowed since a September peak of 3,000 cases per week.

State media reported the health officials' comments Tuesday.

Last year, the disease sickened more than 110,000 and killed 166, mostly children.

The common disease typically causes little more than a fever and rash. No vaccine exists.

4 /5 (1 vote)
add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

Childhood virus kills 70 in Vietnam

Jul 29, 2011

(AP) -- A health official says a surging outbreak of hand, foot and mouth disease in Vietnam has killed 70 people so far this year and infected more than 23,000, mostly children under 5.

Preschools shut as virus outbreak rages in Vietnam

Sep 26, 2011

(AP) -- More than a dozen kindergartens in Vietnam have closed to deal with an outbreak of hand, foot and mouth disease that has killed 109 children and sickening more than 52,000 this year, an official and state-run media ...

Vietnam on alert as common virus kills 81 children

Aug 19, 2011

(AP) -- Vietnam's prime minister has put the country on alert as an outbreak of hand, foot and mouth disease continues to surge, killing 81 children and sickening more than 32,000 people nationwide so far this year, officials ...

Recommended for you

Two expats die of MERS in Saudi commercial hub

21 hours ago

Two foreigners died of MERS in the Saudi city of Jeddah, the health ministry said Saturday, as fears rise over the spreading respiratory virus in the kingdom's commercial hub.

UAE reports 12 new cases of MERS

21 hours ago

Health authorities in the United Arab Emirates have announced 12 new cases of infection by the MERS coronavirus, but insisted the patients would be cured within two weeks.

Filipino tests negative for Middle East virus

Apr 19, 2014

A Filipino nurse who tested positive for the Middle East virus has been found free of infection in a subsequent examination after he returned home, Philippine health officials said Saturday.

User comments