Beijing H7N9 flu victim to return home

A seven-year-old girl who contracted the deadly H7N9 strain of bird flu was to leave a Beijing hospital on Wednesday, staff said, as the death toll from the virus in China remained at 16.

The girl, whose parents are poultry traders, was the first confirmed human case of the virus in the capital, with scores infected in eastern China.

She was due to return home Wednesday afternoon, said a publicity officer at Beijing's Ditan hospital, who provided no further details and declined to be named.

China has confirmed 77 human cases of H7N9 since announcing two weeks ago that it had found the strain in people for the first time.

The girl's mother and father, who had been quarantined for observation, were also set to return home, the state-run Beijing Daily newspaper said, adding that the seven-year-old was no longer showing symptoms.

in China say they do not know exactly how the virus is spreading, but it is believed to be crossing to humans from birds, triggering mass poultry culls in several cities.

Concern has also prompted to avoid eating chicken, causing huge losses to the country's poultry sector.

The United Nations' Food and Agriculture Organization has said H7N9 shows "affinity" to humans while causing "very mild or no disease" in infected poultry, making finding the source of transmission more difficult.

The has said there is no evidence of human-to-human transmission.

add to favorites email to friend print save as pdf

Related Stories

China WHO chief: Beijing H7N9 case not surprising

Apr 14, 2013

(AP)—A World Health Organization official said Sunday that it wasn't surprising that a new strain of bird flu has spread to China's capital after sickening dozens in the eastern part of the country.

A new case in China adds unknowns to bird flu (Update)

Apr 15, 2013

A new case of bird flu in China's capital, a 4-year-old boy who displayed no symptoms, is adding to the unknowns about the latest outbreak that has caused 63 confirmed cases and 14 deaths, health officials ...

Recommended for you

Ebola death toll passes 3,300: WHO

37 minutes ago

The death toll in the world's worst-ever Ebola epidemic has now soared past 3,300, with the virus killing almost half of the more than 7,000 people it has infected, according to World Health Organization figures released ...

Dallas ER sent Ebola-infected patient home

57 minutes ago

A Dallas emergency room sent a man with Ebola home last week, even though he told a nurse that he had been in disease-ravaged West Africa, and officials at the hospital are considering if they would have ...

US hunts contacts of seriously ill Ebola patient

2 hours ago

US health officials scoured the Dallas area Wednesday for people—including schoolchildren—who came in contact with a Liberian man who was diagnosed with Ebola, as it emerged a hospital mix-up saw him initially turned ...

Australia lifts Ebola donation to $16 million

2 hours ago

Australia more than doubled its donation to the fight against Ebola in West Africa to 18 million Australian dollars ($16 million) on Thursday, but resisted demands to send personnel.

User comments