No sign of anthrax illness after CDC lab incident

June 30, 2014 by Mike Stobbe

Officials say there are no signs anyone got sick from anthrax after a lab safety problem at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Earlier this month, the CDC said dozens of workers at three labs in Atlanta may have been accidentally exposed to anthrax.

But on Monday, CDC officials said have not been found on surfaces in the labs and it's not clear that any dangerous anthrax was released.

About 60 workers were offered antibiotics and vaccinations as precautionary treatment. The CDC says about half can now stop taking the medication.

A CDC internal report on what went wrong is expected later this week. Earlier, the federal agency said samples used in research hadn't been sterilized as expected.

Explore further: Rare anthrax case diagnosed in Minnesota

Related Stories

Rare anthrax case diagnosed in Minnesota

August 10, 2011

Minnesota health officials said Tuesday they are investigating a rare case of anthrax inhalation linked to exposure to the dreaded bacteria in the natural environment.

US probes lab workers' possible anthrax exposure (Update)

June 19, 2014

Some workers at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention may have been accidentally exposed to dangerous anthrax bacteria this month because of a safety problem at some of its labs in Atlanta, the federal agency ...

Dozens of US workers taking anti-anthrax drugs

June 20, 2014

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says at least 52 workers are taking antibiotics as a precaution because of a lab safety problem that may have accidentally exposed them to anthrax.

Recommended for you

Ebola virus mutations may help it evade drug treatment

September 11, 2015

Genetic mutations called "escape variants" in the deadly Ebola virus appear to block the ability of antibody-based treatments to ward off infection, according to a team of U.S. Army scientists and collaborators. Their findings, ...

Study finds viral protein that causes dengue shock

September 9, 2015

Scientists at the University of California, Berkeley, have identified a key culprit responsible for the fluid loss and resulting shock that are the hallmark of severe - and potentially fatal - dengue virus infections.


Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.