Industry sues over NYC crackdown on sugary drinks

(AP)—Soft drink makers, restaurateurs and other businesses are suing to block New York City's move to end the sale of super-sized, sugary drinks in many eateries.

The American Beverage Association and others sued the city Friday.

A City Hall spokesman says the lawsuit is baseless and health officials had authority for the regulation.

The city Board of Health approved the unprecedented regulation last month. It would stop restaurants, cafeterias and concession stands from selling soda and other high-calorie drinks in containers larger than 16 ounces.

The rule is to take effect in March.

Mayor Michael Bloomberg calls it a reasonable way to fight obesity.

The lawsuit says the unelected health board shouldn't dictate soft drink sizes. The suit also says the rule "burdens consumers and unfairly harms small businesses."


Explore further

Weight loss groups back NYC's sugary drinks plan

Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Citation: Industry sues over NYC crackdown on sugary drinks (2012, October 12) retrieved 21 November 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2012-10-industry-sues-nyc-crackdown-sugary.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments