More women consider gene test after Angelina Jolie mastectomy revelation

August 14, 2013 by Amy Norton, Healthday Reporter
More women consider gene test after angelina jolie mastectomy revelation
About 6 million women nationwide say they'd very likely consult with their doctor, Harris Interactive/HealthDay poll finds.

(HealthDay)—After hearing about film star Angelina Jolie's double mastectomy, a growing number of U.S. women now say they may ask their doctors whether the same preventive measure is right for them, according to a new Harris Interactive/HealthDay poll.

The survey of nearly 1,100 U.S. , conducted in mid-July, found that almost all women (86 percent) had heard of Jolie's . And 5 percent of those women said they would seek medical advice on having a or ovary removal because of Jolie's decision.

That may seem like a small percentage, but it translates to about 6 million women nationwide, noted Harris Poll chairman Humphrey Taylor.

"The survey finds that the news of Angelina Jolie's double mastectomy has had an impact on many American women," Taylor said.

Back in May, Jolie announced that she had undergone a double mastectomy and also planned to have her ovaries removed, after learning that she carried a linked to breast and ovarian cancers.

Jolie, 38, carries a mutation in a gene called BRCA1. According to the American Cancer Society, defects in that gene and another, called BRCA2, substantially raise a woman's lifetime risks of breast and ovarian cancers—to a roughly 60 percent chance of developing breast cancer, and a 15 to 40 percent risk of ovarian cancer.

By comparison, the average U.S. woman has a 12 percent chance of being diagnosed with breast cancer over her lifetime, and only a 1.4 percent risk of ovarian cancer.

Experts stress that most breast cancers are not inherited, and gene mutations—mainly in the BRCA genes—account for only about 5 to 10 percent of all breast cancers.

And while many women in the new survey might have been interested in BRCA , most do not need it, experts said.

"Genetic testing is only recommended for women at high risk," said Debbie Saslow, director of breast and gynecologic cancer for the American Cancer Society in Atlanta.

Women at high risk either have a personal history or a strong of breast or ovarian cancers, and the survey found that interest in getting the gene test was somewhat higher among women who felt they had a family history of breast cancer versus those who did not have such histories.

"Strong" family history involves a number of factors, Saslow said, including the age at which relatives were diagnosed.

For example, "if your grandmother was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 70, that's not a reason to have genetic testing," Saslow said.

Certain other family history patterns, though, are linked to a higher risk of carrying a cancer-linked BRCA mutation. Some of those include having two first-degree relatives with breast cancer, one of whom was diagnosed at age 50 or younger; a first-degree relative with cancer in both breasts; or two or more relatives with ovarian cancer at any age.

Your doctor, Saslow said, should take a thorough family history—which means you need to know about any breast or ovarian cancers on both sides of your family. If that raises a red flag, your doctor should refer you to a genetic counselor to see if BRCA testing is a good idea, Saslow said.

Cassie Connerty is a physicians' assistant who counsels women at the High-Risk Breast Clinic at Scott & White Hospital in Round Rock, Texas. She said she has not noticed an upswing in women seeking counseling since Jolie's story became public.

But she said she did seem to get more questions from primary care doctors in her health system. "It may have heightened their awareness of the issue," Connerty said.

The cost of a BRCA test, at around $4,000, could deter some women. Insurance plans often cover the test if it's recommended by a health provider—but even then, Connerty said, women may have a steep co-pay.

In the survey, one-third of the women said they would "very likely" have a BRCA test if it were fully covered by insurance. Only 2 percent said they would if they had to foot the bill.

If testing is advised, and insurance pays for it, the challenges do not stop there, Saslow pointed out.

Ideally, the youngest person in the family who already has breast or ovarian cancer would be tested. If there's a BRCA mutation, other women in the family can then be tested for that same mutation.

"Depending on your family dynamic, it can be complicated to get a relative to undergo testing," Saslow said.

Of women who do undergo BRCA testing, only a small percentage are found to have a mutation, Connerty said. But they are still at greater-than-average risk of cancer. "Your risk factors don't go away," Connerty said.

Some of those women might be candidates for drug therapy with tamoxifen or raloxifene, to reduce their risk of developing breast cancer.

For women who do have a BRCA mutation, double mastectomy is not the only option. Some women may opt to take drugs that help lower their cancer risk, while others may opt for intensive breast cancer screening.

Saslow said that screening for these high-risk women should include mammograms and MRI scans, and be done at least once a year. (Some experts suggest alternating between mammograms and MRI every six months; some suggest doing both tests at the same time, once a year.)

"A lot of women don't choose a ," Saslow said.

In general, experts say women with BRCA mutations should have their ovaries removed by age 40, because there is no way to detect early. And that surgery, Saslow noted, also helps cut a woman's breast cancer risk, because removing the ovaries takes away the body's main source of estrogen. Estrogen has long been tied to increased risk.

Connerty said it's important for women to know that there are options after a positive BRCA test result. "Once you know you're positive," she said, "there are things we can do to hopefully prevent cancer, or at least catch it early."

Explore further: Drug offers prevention hope for women with BRCA breast cancer gene

More information: There's more on breast cancer risk factors at the American Cancer Society.

For more on the poll results, visit Harris Interactive.

Related Stories

Drug offers prevention hope for women with BRCA breast cancer gene

August 6, 2013
Use of the anti-cancer drug Tamoxifen is associated with a dramatically reduced risk of developing a second breast tumour among women with a high risk gene mutation who have experienced breast cancer already, a new study ...

Nearly half of breast cancer patients at risk of having BRCA mutations not sent for genetic testing

April 8, 2013
Only 53 percent of newly diagnosed breast cancer patients who were at high risk of carrying a BRCA 1 or BRCA 2 mutation – based on age, diagnosis, and family history of breast or ovarian cancer – reported that their doctors ...

What is BRCA1?

May 15, 2013
Actress Angelina Jolie has today written an op-ed in the New York Times explaining that she has opted to have a double mastectomy because she carries the hereditary BRCA1 gene, which she says increases her risk of breast ...

USPSTF: BRCA testing for women with family history

April 2, 2013
(HealthDay)—The U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (USPSTF) recommends that BRCA1 and BRCA2 genetic testing be limited to women whose family histories are associated with an increased likelihood of having BRCA mutations.

Surgery can dramatically reduce genetic cancer risk

May 14, 2013
Women whose genes put them at a high risk of contracting breast cancer can dramatically reduce the danger by having a double mastectomy—but not eliminate it altogether, experts say.

More women removing ovaries to prevent cancer

June 25, 2013
Ovarian cancer can be a death sentence for many women. It is difficult to treat and often goes undetected until the late stages when it has spread to other organs in the pelvis and abdomen.

Recommended for you

Boosting cancer therapy with cross-dressed immune cells

January 22, 2018
Researchers at EPFL have created artificial molecules that can help the immune system to recognize and attack cancer tumors. The study is published in Nature Methods.

Workouts may boost life span after breast cancer

January 22, 2018
(HealthDay)—Longer survival after breast cancer may be as simple as staying fit, new research shows.

Cancer patients who tell their life story find more peace, less depression

January 22, 2018
Fifteen years ago, University of Wisconsin–Madison researcher Meg Wise began interviewing cancer patients nearing the end of life about how they were living with their diagnosis. She was surprised to find that many asked ...

Single blood test screens for eight cancer types

January 18, 2018
Johns Hopkins Kimmel Cancer Center researchers developed a single blood test that screens for eight common cancer types and helps identify the location of the cancer.

Researchers find a way to 'starve' cancer

January 18, 2018
Researchers at Vanderbilt University Medical Center (VUMC) have demonstrated for the first time that it is possible to starve a tumor and stop its growth with a newly discovered small compound that blocks uptake of the vital ...

How cancer metastasis happens: Researchers reveal a key mechanism

January 18, 2018
Cancer metastasis, the migration of cells from a primary tumor to form distant tumors in the body, can be triggered by a chronic leakage of DNA within tumor cells, according to a team led by Weill Cornell Medicine and Memorial ...


Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.