Poisonous mushrooms pose danger as more people forage for locally grown food, experts say

September 26, 2013 by Patti Verbanas
Appearances can be deceiving. Mushrooms growing in New Jersey may look like edible varieties from other parts of the country or world, but are actually toxic.

While walking in the field behind her Lambertville home, Lauren Johnson became enchanted by a bright-orange and yellow mushroom growing on the side of a tree. Johnson, who often forages with her husband, believed her find to be a Chicken of the Woods, an edible variety – but refrained from cooking it until she was certain. "We're very wary," she says, "and always bring mushrooms to experts who can identify them before we eat them."

Unfortunately, many people who forage and are not as cautious can find themselves gravely sick from mushroom poisoning.

"There is a saying, 'There are old mushroom pickers and bold mushroom pickers, but there are no old, bold mushroom pickers,'" says Bruce Ruck, director of drug information and professional education for New Jersey Poison Control, based at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School in Newark.

Nationwide, poison control centers answer more than 6,000 calls annually regarding the consumption of poison mushrooms. Of these cases, about 2,500 are treated in , with more than 500 cases resulting in serious illness.

Last year, New Jersey Poison Control fielded 141 calls about potential poisonings, 41 of which led to hospital treatment. In recent years, there have been several deaths of animals and humans reported, says Ruck, including the death of a Mercer County mother who unknowingly picked and used lethal Amanitas in a stew and served it to her family, who were sickened but survived. To date this year, 113 cases of mushroom poisonings have been reported in New Jersey.

Symptoms of mushroom poisoning, which can manifest from as soon as 20 minutes to a few days after consumption, range from intense vomiting, cramps and diarrhea, to liver and , to death. "Eating even a few bites of certain mushrooms can cause severe illness," explains Ruck.

The poisonous Jack-O’Lantern mushroom can resemble edible chanterelles.

Most troubling to poison control experts is the fact that foraging – often by those without expertise – is growing in mainstream popularity. The increasing interest in foraging may be due to the rise of the locovore movement, which promotes eating locally sourced foods, experts say. The motivation may also be to save money. But, Ruck says, "unless you are a mycologist, it is difficult to tell the difference between a toxic and non-toxic mushroom."

Many cases of mushroom poisonings come from immigrants who are accustomed to foraging in their home countries and are unaware of the differences in mushrooms found in the United States. "Appearances can be deceiving," Ruck says. "Mushrooms growing in New Jersey may look like edible varieties from other parts of the country or world, but are actually toxic. Also, poisonous and non-poisonous mushrooms can grow side by side." His message to those who want to eat what they pick: "When in doubt, throw it out."

More than 5,000 species of mushrooms grow in the United States. Of these, about 100 are poisonous and a dozen are considered lethal. Most poison-related deaths result from people consuming mushrooms belonging to the genus Amanita – Death Caps, Destroying Angels and Fool's Mushroom – which can easily be mistaken for nonpoisonous varieties, says James White, a professor at Rutgers School of Environmental and Biological Sciences who teaches a course, "Edible and Poisonous Mushrooms." Many popular varieties have toxic look-alikes. "For example, poisonous false morels can be mistaken for highly sought after edible morels and Jack-O'Lantern mushrooms may resemble chanterelles," he says. "In addition, people have varying degrees of sensitivities with . What might be fine for one person to consume might make another sick."

Ruck urges instructing children not even to touch a wild mushroom – "They could pick one and put it in their mouth before you know it," he explains – and to safeguard pets by keeping them on a leash and monitoring yards for mushroom growth after rain.

Explore further: The unravelled mushroom genome offers many opportunities

Related Stories

The unravelled mushroom genome offers many opportunities

October 8, 2012
A consortium of 20 research groups, including Wageningen UR Plant Breeding, part of Wageningen UR, has mapped the entire genome of the button mushroom (Agaricus bisporus). This represents a major step forward for research ...

2 Calif. deaths from mushrooms despite warnings

November 11, 2012
(AP)—The deaths of two residents of a Northern California assisted living facility and the hospitalization of four others come despite warnings from health officials not to eat mushrooms picked in the wild.

3rd person in Calif. dies from mushroom poisoning

November 21, 2012
(AP)—A third person has died from eating toxic mushrooms at a California senior care facility.

Biologist treks across southwestern China to answer the "killer mushroom" question

December 7, 2012
McMaster University biologist Jianping Xu trekked over 30 kilometers a day through mountainous terrain and inclement weather in southwestern China to discover that a wild mushroom wasn't at the root of 400 unexplained deaths.

Fourth person dies in Calif. of mushroom poisoning

November 27, 2012
(AP)—A Northern California sheriff says a fourth person has died from eating a soup made with poisonous mushrooms earlier this month at senior care facility.

Mushroom poisoning adds to rainy French summer woes

August 7, 2011
Tourists and locals in southwest France are flocking to hospital wards after eating mushrooms that this year sprouted much earlier than usual due to the rainy summer, officials said Sunday.

Recommended for you

Sugar not so sweet for mental health

July 27, 2017
Sugar may be bad not only for your teeth and your waistline, but also your mental health, claimed a study Thursday that was met with scepticism by other experts.

Could insufficient sleep be adding centimeters to your waistline?

July 27, 2017
Adults in the UK who have poor sleep patterns are more likely to be overweight and obese and have poorer metabolic health, according to a new study.

Vitamin E-deficient embryos are cognitively impaired even after diet improves

July 27, 2017
Zebrafish deficient in vitamin E produce offspring beset by behavioral impairment and metabolic problems, new research at Oregon State University shows.

The role of dosage in assessing risk of hormone therapy for menopause

July 27, 2017
When it comes to assessing the risk of estrogen therapy for menopause, how the therapy is delivered—taking a pill versus wearing a patch on one's skin—doesn't affect risk or benefit, researchers at UCLA and elsewhere ...

Blowing smoke? E-cigarettes might help smokers quit

July 26, 2017
People who used e-cigarettes were more likely to kick the habit than those who didn't, a new study found.

Brain disease seen in most football players in large report

July 25, 2017
Research on 202 former football players found evidence of a brain disease linked to repeated head blows in nearly all of them, from athletes in the National Football League, college and even high school.

2 comments

Adjust slider to filter visible comments by rank

Display comments: newest first

Shootist
1 / 5 (6) Sep 26, 2013
Poisonous mushrooms pose danger as more people forage for locally grown food, experts say

Poison mushrooms are the type of problem that, if left alone, will solve itself.
Lorentz Descartes
1 / 5 (6) Sep 26, 2013
Mushroom hunting is a great hobby, it's nice to hear that it's gaining popularity. The best advice I've heard so far is not to focus too strongly on learning/collecting the edible species, but to become proficient at Id'ing the poisonous ones.

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more

Click here to reset your password.
Sign in to get notified via email when new comments are made.