WHO reduces Ebola death toll to 4,818

The World Health Organization on Wednesday reduced its Ebola data, showing a smaller death toll in eight countries than earlier indicated as some cases recorded previously turned out to have arisen from other factors.

The new toll stands at 4,818 deaths, rather than 4,951 reported on October 31, the UN health agency said.

The number of reported cases has also fallen to 13,042 from 13,567.

The latest outbreak of Ebola has hit Liberia, Guinea and Sierra Leone hardest, with the majority of deaths and cases arising from these three west African countries.

In its latest toll, the WHO said 2,697 deaths were recorded in Liberia, out of a total of 6,525 cases.

In Sierra Leone, 1,070 people had died from the virus out of 4,759 cases.

In Guinea, 1,041 deaths have been recorded out of 1,731 cases.

Data from Nigeria and Senegal remained unchanged, and both countries have been declared Ebola free.

Nigeria had eight deaths and 20 cases, while Senegal had one case and no deaths.

Meanwhile, one has been recorded in Mali—that of a two-year-old girl from Guinea—while one case of infection in Spain, a nurse, has been cured.

In the United States, four have been recorded and one person—a Liberian—had died from Ebola.


Explore further

WHO revises Ebola toll

© 2014 AFP

Citation: WHO reduces Ebola death toll to 4,818 (2014, November 5) retrieved 8 March 2021 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2014-11-ebola-death-toll.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments