Ebola spikes again in Guinea, Sierra Leone: WHO

The number of Ebola cases has risen in Guinea and Sierra Leone for the second consecutive week, the World Health Organization said Wednesday.

In Guinea, 16 new cases were found in the week ending June 7, with 15 more found in neighbouring Sierra Leone.

In the previous week, 13 new cases had been found in Guinea, a clear increase on the nine reported a week before that.

The pattern was similar in Sierra Leone, where 12 new cases were found in the last week of May compared to only three the previous week.

"This is the second consecutive weekly increase in case incidence," the WHO said.

Ebola has killed 11,158 of the 27,237 people infected, the WHO said in its latest situation report.

The number of health workers affected in Sierra Leone, Guinea and Liberia has risen to 869, of whom 507 have died, since the current epidemic broke out in west Africa in December 2013

Liberia was declared Ebola-free in May, but hopes that Sierra Leone and Guinea would quickly follow suit have been dashed in recent weeks.

The global health agency also voiced concern that the areas affected in Guinea have increased.

In the week leading up to June 7, two new cases were confirmed in Guinea's capital Conakry, which had been Ebola-free during the three previous weeks.

The virus also reappeared in the western Guinean region of Kindia, with three new identified there.


Explore further

Ebola deaths pass 11,000 mark: WHO

© 2015 AFP

Citation: Ebola spikes again in Guinea, Sierra Leone: WHO (2015, June 10) retrieved 20 July 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-06-ebola-spikes-guinea-sierra-leone.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
11 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more