Infection tied to restaurant leaves 12 in intensive care

Public health officials say at least 93 people contracted a bacterial infection after eating at a San Francisco Bay Area restaurant and that 12 of them people have been hospitalized in intensive care.

The Santa Clara County Public Health Department issued a warning to people who ate at Mariscos San Juan on Friday or Saturday. The restaurant had its permit suspended and remained closed as of Sunday.

The department says many of the people sickened over the weekend by the intestinal infection caused by the have required admission to a hospital. Symptoms include fever, abdominal pain and diarrhea.

Dr. Sara Cody, Santa Clara County's health officer, says shigella can be spread by people who do not wash their hands after using the bathroom. It is treated with antibiotics.

Calls to the restaurant by The Associated Press rang unanswered Wednesday.


Explore further

One death reported from salmonella outbreak at US restaurant

© 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Citation: Infection tied to restaurant leaves 12 in intensive care (2015, October 21) retrieved 25 February 2021 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-10-infection-tied-restaurant-intensive.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
4 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments