Whitewater rafter dies from amoebic infection after NC trip

A Ohio woman who went whitewater rafting in North Carolina has died of an infection after being exposed to an amoeba that is naturally present in warm fresh water.

North Carolina's Department of Health and Human Services said the U.S. Centers for Disease Control suspects Naegleria fowleri (nuh-GLEER'-ee-uh FOW'-lur-ee), a one-celled organism that can cause primary amebic meningoencephalitis.

The name of the person who died Sunday wasn't officially released, but The Columbus Dispatch identified her as 18-year-old Lauren Seitz of Westerville, Ohio.

The victim's only known underwater exposure was thought to be when a raft overturned at the U.S. National Whitewater Center in Charlotte.

A spokesman for the center did not respond to messages Wednesday.


Explore further

Health department says amoeba kills swimmer in Oklahoma lake

© 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

Citation: Whitewater rafter dies from amoebic infection after NC trip (2016, June 22) retrieved 27 June 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-06-whitewater-rafter-dies-amoebic-infection.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
1 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more