Beware broken glow sticks

Beware broken glow sticks

(HealthDay)—Letting kids chew or cut glow sticks is a bad idea, health experts say.

While safer than sparklers and fireworks, pliable glow-in-the-dark products are easily broken open when put in the mouth. The contents can irritate the skin, eyes and mouth, the experts warn.

Some glow products contain a chemical called dibutyl phthalate (DBP). The liquid typically causes immediate stinging and a in the mouth and eyes, according to the Nebraska Regional Poison Center in Omaha.

Last year, the poison center received 321 calls about glow products.

Here are some tips from the poison-control experts:

  • If ingested, the bitter-tasting chemical will likely cause brief discomfort in the . Thorough rinsing should help.
  • If the liquid gets on the skin, wash it off immediately to prevent the child from rubbing the chemical in the eyes.
  • If it gets in the eyes, it will cause redness and burning. Prompt irrigation is necessary.

Exposure to DBP may cause serious symptoms in pets. They can include drooling, gagging and vomiting, according to the poison center.


Explore further

Summer spurs calls to poison centers

More information: The Carolinas Poison Center has more about glow sticks.

Copyright © 2016 HealthDay. All rights reserved.

Citation: Beware broken glow sticks (2016, July 4) retrieved 18 August 2019 from https://medicalxpress.com/news/2016-07-beware-broken.html
This document is subject to copyright. Apart from any fair dealing for the purpose of private study or research, no part may be reproduced without the written permission. The content is provided for information purposes only.
11 shares

Feedback to editors

User comments

Please sign in to add a comment. Registration is free, and takes less than a minute. Read more